Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: In Cairo, need oud!
Azzam
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 04:03 AM
In Cairo, need oud!

Hey, first let me start by saying that I am glad to have joined a very interesting and engaging forum. Mike, you've done an excellent job, I can spend hours looking through past discussions.

So, here I am in Cairo, I have just a few days left and I'm in the market for a new oud. I have been a bit spoiled since I have been learning to play on my father's Fathi Amin ouds and I don't think I could settle for a cheap oud from Mohammad Ali street or something. I was wondering where I could go to get a very good quality, already made oud, as I don't have time to get one made for me. Fathi Amin is out of the question since he doesn't usually have ouds lying around for sale. I was thinking of the Al-Aseel shop, or visiting Ajeeb Naseef whom I've never met but my father is in contact with. As you can see my mind is all over the place so if someone can push me in the direction of a quality oud....it would be much appreciated!!!!

Rami
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 07:33 AM

Rami,
Call Maurice's workshop at 682-5603. Tell him where you are located, and he will set up the meeting.
Good luck,
Mike

Azzam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 07:59 AM

Thanks Mike,
I called Mourice (VERY nice guy) and decided that I will go to his shop tomorrow and see what he has available. I after thinking about it for a while I am VERY tempted to have him make me one to be ready in the summer when I return from vancouver....i figured buying a nice oud is not something I should rush myself into...even though I'm REAL excited. My father said he will lend me one of his ouds for the time being....which is SWEEEET. I'm addicted to the bassy sounds on one particular oud from Fathi......cannot describe in words how fun it is play on his ouds.....I'm babbling...
thanks for the advice Mike
Rami
Azzam
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 11:01 AM

The meeting with Mourice went well. I will return in May and have him build me one to my specifications. I got a chance to see and play a number of Mourice's ouds, and I was very impressed to say the least.
Mike, thanks for making the call to Mourice, you didn't have to do it, but I really appreciate the gesture.
Rami

Go To Top