Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yaroub Bashir Oud for sale
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 09:47 AM
Yaroub Bashir Oud for sale

I've decided (painfully) to sell my Yaroub Fadhil Bashir - this is #227 made in 2002. I recently purchased a 7-course Bashir and, though I love this oud, I can't justify keeping it when I have another that suits my needs better.

I received the Yaroub in "slightly" damaged condition but I have since had it fully restored by Viken Najarian to its original glory. It now has a beautiful, very light, clear finish that brings out the beauty of the rosewood bowl. All told, I spent a lot of money on this oud but I've fallen in love with another! Against the advice of friends and relatives I'm letting this one go for something in the neighborhood of $1200 US (I'm willing to bargain further but not much) You can find additional pictures here:

http://www.varis.com/Oud/Yaroub_Bashir

The oud comes with a solid hard case, risha and an extra set of custom Pyramid lute strings. I will ship it in its case, inside a large cardboard box with foam peanuts to insure that it travels well!

Please contact me via email if you are interested at: varis@varis.com

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 12-28-2004 at 10:39 AM

Hi Lee, i emailed you. If you did not get it.

email me at rkb_181@hotmail.com
walkad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 06:54 AM

Hi Lee
Your price is really tempting, are you in desperate need of money or what?:)

Just a question, was the oud damaged during the shiping? what kind of damage did you restore?

Regards
/Walid
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 11:11 AM
Repairs

I received the oud with a small crack in the bowl along one of the ribs. The previous owner had also attempted to remove the finish on the face and it looked like sandpaper was used - it was uneven with spots worn down to the wood but otherwise the face wasn't really damaged in any way. I took it to Viken Najarian – he kept it for about 6 months, fixed the crack (you can't see where it was) and completely refinished the oud - it looks exquisite! Viken's work is superb!

I like this oud but I'm finding that, now that I have a 7 - course oud, I'm not playing it at all. I just feel that someone else will really enjoy this oud much more! I've already spent over $2k on the oud + repairs and I might just keep it for myself after all if nobody wants it. I'm not really in any hurry to sell it but after checking around at the going rate for these instruments new I feel that $1200 is a good price... the oud is now in like-new condition.

I will say that this oud is the most comfortable oud I've ever played - the short scale length combined with the body shape and low-profile neck give it a very fast feeling - If I keep it I will probably put Aquilla Turkish strings on it and tune it Turkish style. I'll use it to explore Ottoman style music - I think it could sound great for that!

BTW, I'll post pictures of my new oud soon - don't worry Mike, I'm not done collecting ouds I just have a better idea of what I like now!

regards,

Lee Varis
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2004 at 11:28 AM

Lee, I don't know if you are aware but this oud is identical the one used by Shamma.

Best wishes

Ronny
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-30-2004 at 10:36 AM
Correction

I was informed by the previous owner that the "finish" of the Yaroub oud was removed by Yaroub himself at the owners request. I suspect that perhaps an assistant did the actual work because it wasn't particularly pretty - however, as I said earlier, the face wasn't damaged in any way.

I think there's a lesson here – something that I experienced with another oud as well. We all have to be careful when asking builders to do things that they normally wouldn't do. In an effort to customize the oud we can end up compromising it. In the future I'm going to leave builders alone to do what they do without asking for anything out of the ordinary "for them" - I think the master craftsmen that make these instruments often really desire to please their customers but may ignore their own instincts to deliver something they "think" the customer wants even if it results in a less than ideal product.

Now that this oud has been restored, I think even Yaroub himself would be happy with it!

regards,

Lee Varis
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 12-30-2004 at 10:52 AM

Well said Lee. I agree with your good advice.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LeeVaris
>I was informed by the previous owner that the "finish" of the Yaroub oud was removed by Yaroub himself at the owners request. I suspect that perhaps an assistant did the actual work because it wasn't particularly pretty - however, as I said earlier, the face wasn't damaged in any way.
Quote:

This is hilarious. I spoke to Yaroub and he said that he have never touched the oud after he finished it 2002. He’s now working on an oud for one of zul’s ¨students¨ and he’s awaiting full payment for the oud. I recall my own communication with Zul about his own attempt to remove the varnish on the soundboard and I recommended him not doing it and certainly not using sandpaper as he apparently did.

Quote:
I think there's a lesson here
Quote:

Indeed.

Best wishes

Ronny
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-1-2005 at 08:04 PM
Oud is Sold

The Yaroub oud is now sold -- Thanks so much Mike for these great forums!!!

regards,

Lee Varis
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-2-2005 at 09:04 AM

Hi Lee,

No problem man. I just wish you didn't have to take such a hit on that oud. All I know, is whoever bought that oud got a real bargain, because Viken did an outstanding job on the fix. The crack is undetectable and the refinish is flawless!

Take care,
Mike

Go To Top