Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new oud BY Michael Moussa
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 03:50 PM
new oud BY Michael Moussa

Dear all
Here is my latest and possibly the last oud to acquire for many years to come. It caters for all my needs and fulfil even my wildest fantasies. Since I spotted this model in Greenwich exhibition and l regretfully let go due to greed and hesitancy, I learned the lesson and just cashed and carried in compliance with Michael ' code of practice: no deposit, no order...
It is a replica of Sayed Makawy oud originally made by Abu Khalil Algohari in 1931. bowl darkest best grained rosewood alternating with seawave pommelle bubiniga with golden hues in 1:2 arranagement. Sound board antique mosque pine. with marquetrrie ebony in bone inlay( in the original ivory was used instead).
I was very tempted when Iwatched the clip of Amir playing it and more so when I tried it myself; wow how deep, resposive and authentic it sounded but a bit dominating and overpowering even intimidating to such a humble oudist like myself. Michael suggested changing the strings from pyramid to low tension ozten. What a change, it turned up into a weapy melancholic softy which you cannot help but to hug
and kiss !!!
markus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 02:42 AM

Congrats fella
You did it right this time, caught the chance and ended with the oud of your dreams!!!, play it in good health. I have got a twin brother of yours but in zebrano which is too addictive and becuse of it I have desrted all my other beloved ouds including Nahat.
What is the length of string? and out of curousity have you acquired it from Michael or from Ameer- As far as I know Ameer is based in USA and Michael in UK So how could Ameer encounter this oud and play it. Would you be able to send sound recording sample
Greco-Egyptian
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 07:08 AM

I was in England a couple months ago and had the pleasure of visiting Michael Moussa for a day. So many different ouds...
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 07:13 AM

Thanks Markus
As far as I learned from Michael, Ameer was on a expedition to London to explore the old analogue recordings of the BBC when he decided to see Michael and they had an oud reunion do with many UK oudist attending. Ameer then played many of Michael's ouds including this one and brief footages were taken
But this is different from Ameer's which is a replica of GAMEEL GEORGY. Back to your question the course length is 62cm
I have uploaded to recordings of this oud the one done by Ameer and mine( humble taqssim on a great oud - and you will appreciated the effect of the tension and toning on the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WT1MM4oygY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoubXBCPvNg
looking forward for your own taqseem
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 07:20 AM

thanks Ameer
I feel a bit unfortunate to miss this gathering, but may I ask you which one of his ouds you liked most aside from this one and you recommend to be my second acquisition from Abu Mina before he pulls out as he sometimes does
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 04:19 AM

Welcome back, indeed you 've got magestic ripe and mellowed oud despite being a baby
what would it be as an adult
cannot find Ameer clip to feel the difference
but your recording is just beatiful, excellent taqssim, far from humble on a 100% sharqi oud
what tuning you are using- it may be the pitch rather than the stings that has made the difference
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 05:20 AM

That's my fault- I asked him to take it down. You're really not missing much.
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 02:32 AM

Come on Ameer
Your playing is always excellent, something not to be missed!!!
now back Arabesque, I quite like the slim oblong built of your oud( half almond) which is a typical feature of vintage Egyptian ouds in contrast to the more pear shaped Irqi/Syrian ones.
By the way what is the Sea wave bubinga?- is it the wood of the light ribs, and what is pomelle? is the same like bubinga?
the light ribs look like mahogany or paddock to me
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:06 PM

Hello Pirate
Bubinga is a lovely tropical wood called the African rosewood. As a tonewood it is halfway between rosewood and walnut. it is pinkish to reddish brown in colour- the seawave is a type of grain that is wavy, mine has got a unique grain varying from curly flammed to seawood
the attached closeup photo may show the gtrain clearer

[file]32279[/file]
Bayat
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:53 PM

beautiful sound and looks
soltanov
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 04:33 AM

Michael suggested changing the strings from pyramid to low tension ozten. What a change, it turned up into a weapy melancholic softy which you cannot help but to hug
and kiss !!![/ rquote]

I'm not a big fan of pyramid strings myself , I just use them for the 6th string F , very nice design enjoy your new oud
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 09:22 PM

Thanks Bayat and Soltanov
Working hard on it!!!!

Go To Top