Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Simon Shaheen...how???
Chris_Stephens
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 10:23 AM
Simon Shaheen...how???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mNxwgAmTKM

I've been listening to oud performances for a long time, and i've acquired a fairly sensitive palette for the music. I love the greats like Munir Bashir, the innovators like Mustafa Said and the young masters like Ahmad al Khatib, other favorites of mine are Adel Salemeh, Nasser Shamma, Marcel Khalife, but i have NEVER heard anyone play like Simon Shaheen. Everything he plays is unique and perfect. How does he do this magic? I've read here on other threads that he uses a thick rishi and holds it close so not so much is exposed. Is that it? Someone mentioned he uses traditional tuning. His instrument just sounds 'different' than anyone else i've heard. Its so clean and tight. Is his sound because his oud or strings are different? His technique is so fast and flawless it pushes my limits of what i thought was possible. So far, if i had to pick a "best", it would be him. I can't even explain how blown away I am by him. The video above is an example, from the very first note to the end he is just ON.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 10:47 AM

If there is way to explain genius or excellent musicality I have never heard of it. But there is a context to Simon Shaheen's playing, at least in this example. The context is being steeped in the classics and sort of Becoming the old music, not just remembering that it exists. In my opinion he learned the old music very well and when innovating he is carrying the past along with him. This is true for technique and for sense of maqam and for phrasing.

Also, if you study his right hand and arm you will discover the source of his great tone. Sure, a high quality oud and a hard rishi are part his sound, but I bet he'd get the same sort of sound from any oud-rishi combo.

Also some of the names you have mentioned are, in my opinion, not really playing the same kind of music as Simon Shaheen. It's a bit of an apples and oranges situation.
Chris_Stephens
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 11:51 AM

Thanks, i've been watching his right arm and im not really versed enough to make any distinction. Care to explain that more? I understand everyone has their own 'way' of playing, especially when dealing with improvisation, but how are the players I mentioned (with the exception of Ahmad al Khatib, who from what I can decipher is doing something else) not the same kind of music? Who would you say is the 'same kind of music' as Simon Shaheen? And no genius cannot be explained, but someone more knowledgeable than me could provide some insights as to what i'm hearing that makes it so much more amazing than others. When he plays so fast, even when switching strings, it looks like his hand isn't even moving :bowdown:
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chris_Stephens  
Thanks, i've been watching his right arm and im not really versed enough to make any distinction. Care to explain that more?

Keep watching and then try to replicate what you see, looking in a mirror. For one thing the down strokes are really down, with no movement away from the body, away from the face of the oud. The rest strokes might contain some movement toward the soundboard, but not away. Outward motion sound like "nyeep, nyeep" instead of "tooom". Also the hinge of the wrist is not locked. There is no independent right hand finger motion. The index finger of the right hand is not pointing at anything. Also the hand is not draped over the side of the oud, it is coming from behind the bridge. There are other things. Keep looking,

I understand everyone has their own 'way' of playing, especially when dealing with improvisation, but how are the players I mentioned (with the exception of Ahmad al Khatib, who from what I can decipher is doing something else) not the same kind of music?

Iraqi music and Iraqi oud playing is for the most part a different music and a different mindset. More different than Carnatic music is from Hindustani, to use familiar references. Especially the school of Munir Bashir. And then there is the way Iraqi oudists Jamil Bashir and Salman Shakur played which was deeply connected to the playing and musical sense of Sherif Muhiddin Haider Targan, their teacher who came to Baghdad from Turkey to teach.

Who would you say is the 'same kind of music' as Simon Shaheen?

In general broad terms, musicians from west of Iraq and east of Libya.

And no genius cannot be explained, but someone more knowledgeable than me could provide some insights as to what i'm hearing that makes it so much more amazing than others. When he plays so fast, even when switching strings, it looks like his hand isn't even moving :bowdown:

Chris_Stephens
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Iraqi music and Iraqi oud playing is for the most part a different music and a different mindset. More different than Carnatic music is from Hindustani, to use familiar references. Especially the school of Munir Bashir. And then there is the way Iraqi oudists Jamil Bashir and Salman Shakur played which was deeply connected to the playing and musical sense of Sherif Muhiddin Haider Targan, their teacher who came to Baghdad from Turkey to teach.

Who would you say is the 'same kind of music' as Simon Shaheen?

In general broad terms, musicians from west of Iraq and east of Libya.

Im even more confused now! I do understand the Hindustani/Carnatic analogy, I guess im just too new to the music to tell the difference. I assumed that Arabic/Turkish was similar to North/South India split. Can you go into the different regional styles a bit more? I can tell the difference between Turkish and Arabic oud playing because of the higher tuning. Are there subdivisions under the Arabic style, like you said, regional or even national style, ie Iraqi, Egyptian, etc. Any names to go with styles would be very helpful, i've got some listening homework to do!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:44 PM

Keep listening for a year or two. If you can tell Bhairavi from Bilaskhani Todi and distinguish the differences between Puria, Sohini and Marwa, you will have no problem discerning differences in types of Arabic oud playing that transcend differences between individual players. Eventually you will recognize styles and sub-styles in the same way you recognize that green and purple differ from each other.

I think it's time for others to chime in if they are so inclined. A few scattered pieces of answers is all I can manage right now. Sorry if the following is incoherent. I'm short of time right now:

Many Iraqi players and their students nowadays generally tune higher than the Turkish players, and the latter did not always tune higher. And this same high F tuning shows up elsewhere. Several prominent players from Morocco seem to prefer it. And Jamil Bashir tuned higher still.

The difference between "Turkish" and "Arab" oud music is in the music itself, even though there is some core repertoire composed in Ottoman times the Turks and Arab players share. The oud designs and the bracing and voicing reflect the aesthetic differences in the music. Within "Arab oud music" there are intonation differences that more or less adhere to regions but it depends on era and other factors. Look within the archives of this website for more parts of the answers. And then there is the music of the Maghreb where the forms and nomenclature are different and whose origins in part are said to be in ancient Baghdad via Spain. There is more than one style of Iraqi maqam music and in the genre called Iraqi Maqam the forms and nomenclature are different from Egypt and "The Levant". And then there is the Gulf. Different again. And in Oman I hear similarity with the folk music of southeast Iran. All of this is very broad strokes and generalized and those who object to these generalizations will be correct. And to complicate the issue, the most visible oud school in today's Cairo is cultivating and passing on an aesthetic of Iraqi origin that is not at all the same as the older Cairo oud style and substance and other maqam music of the time of Qassabji and then Sunbati. But I'm rambling/ babbling. And I haven't even mentioned Aleppo where there was a different aesthetic. And then there is the question of tarab. And bear in mind that political national borders are transient and sometimes artificial. And there are always exceptions to these over-broad generalizations. Consider Saliba el Katrib who lived in Baghdad and whose technique was unlike the Bashirs (who were unlike each other).

How's that for disorganized incoherence?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 06:29 AM

It may be helpful to know that Simon was playing on concerts with his father when he was 6 years old. So . . . he is an unusual talent.

Simon's playing has nothing to do with his strings or his risha really—he is using normal Pyramid or Labella strings on any of the recordings/videos you've heard. His rishas are stiff but I've heard him play with whatever was lying around many times and it makes little difference. He has a great oud, but I've heard him play many ouds and the essence doesn't change. It is 90% in his hands and his mind.

As Jody said, it is mostly his right hand technique that sets him apart. Having his arm come over the bridge is a big part of it.

I played guitar with Simon's band for a few years, and got to watch him many times from a few feet away, and I took some lessons with him also . . . I learned a lot but I certainly didn't totally unravel the mystery of his skill.

You should come to Simon's music retreat in Massachusetts ... it's every year, usually the second week of August (starts tomorrow this year).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Chris_Stephens
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 07:40 AM

Thanks for the insightful replies, good to know about his 'unusual' talent and his arm position, and that its not his strings/risha/oud that sets him apart. What "style" would you say he plays in the video I posted? I appreciate the use of ragas to apply to different styles, I can discern between those ragas that use the same notes, but wouldn't it be more analogous to say the difference between Nikhil Banerjee and Vilayat Khan who play sitar from vastly different approaches due to their 'gharana'? I can understand that, when i first got into Indian music i wasn't aware there are very different styles of playing- even within the same cultural/geographic region- but now they seem so distant from eachother.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 07:54 AM

Simon is playing in a style that is very much drawn from the tradition of Palestine, Syria and Egypt. He has made his own innovations but they are built on the tradition and the styles of Farid, Qasabji and Sounbati, and his father Hikmat Shaheen, as well as some other influences (and also based on the vast traditional vocal repertoire, Byzantine church music, Quranic recitation, etc.).

Munir Bashir has a completely different style, based on Turkish and Iraqi music and his own tastes. Naseer Shamma is largely an extension of Bashir's style and has little to do with the broader Arab tradition. Marcel Khalife has traditional roots but is playing in a more popular/folk style most of the time and his own style, and has chosen less traditional direction.

Simon is a good example of the traditional sharqi classical style, taken to a level of extreme creativity and technical skill.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 09:31 AM

In the Dagar dhrupad tradition in which I was trained, the distinction between the ragas I mentioned is more or at least as much a distinction of microtonal pitch then of "chalan" ("pathway", the equivalent of seyir). On a harmonium (as with an arabic 24 tone accordion) these differences are obliterated and these ragas do seem to have the same notes. But good instrumentalists and kheyal singers as well as dhrupad musicians will for instance play every pitch of Bilaskhani Todi a good deal lower than the "same" pitches in Bhairavi. It is the distinctive and unique pitch of re and ni that gives Marwa its identity. That is why a musician need only play that Marwa re and the raga will be known to the audience without any phrase being played.

One way to tell where a maqam musician is from is by pitch. For instance the pitch of the note "segah" is a good indicator. It tends to be lowest in Egypt and climbs as it moves east. Compare turkish maqam Rast with its intonation in Cario for an immediate illustration of this. In Turkey in the early 21st century the pitch of segah in Rast is just below a major third. In Cairo it has usually been much lower and (nearly) justifies the name "half flat". If you listen to the oud players Brian mentioned you will find that their techniques and personalities differ in a similar way as the techniques and personalities of Nikhil-da and Vilayat Khansahib differ. But they are playing the same kind of music. Listen to any Andalus oud player in Algeria, Morocco, or Tunisia and its a whole nuther ball game. Same for Munir Bashir school.

Thanks for the insightful replies, good to know about his 'unusual' talent and his arm position, and that its not his strings/risha/oud that sets him apart. What "style" would you say he plays in the video I posted? I appreciate the use of ragas to apply to different styles, I can discern between those ragas that use the same notes, but wouldn't it be more analogous to say the difference between Nikhil Banerjee and Vilayat Khan who play sitar from vastly different approaches due to their 'gharana'? I can understand that, when i first got into Indian music i wasn't aware there are very different styles of playing- even within the same cultural/geographic region- but now they seem so distant from eachother.

Go To Top