Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tunings
Don Z
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 02:56 PM
Tunings

I have been doing research on tunings and i must ask; what are the standard tunings? I get so many seemingly conflicting results, or are there just that many? I have an Egyptian friend who looked at me as if I were crazy when i suggested a tuning. He told me that now people are tuning E A D G C E. I was a bit surprised at the suggestion but I'm keeping an open mind. Comments on tuning? Thanks in advance.

Don
luan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 04:25 PM

I never heard of that tuning
Don Z
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 05:07 PM

I'm asking because I don't want to start on the wrong foot. What timings are recommended for Arabic music?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 07:59 PM

To understand the oud tunings, you need to know a bit of history:

The oud started out with four courses. These were tuned all in fourths, but with no fixed pitch reference. Later, a fifth and then a sixth course were added. The tunings of these are variable and depend on the piece and the preferences of the player.

Nowadays, many/most Arabic oud players adopt the pitch c' as the first (i.e., highest-pitched) course, which results in:

c'
g
d
A
? (usually F or G)
? (usually C or D)

Some people, mostly followers of Munir Bashir or Naseer Shamma, tune a fourth higher:

f'
c'
g
d
A
? (F or G)

However, many people in both tunings choose to de-tune (actually most old recordings are lower in pitch than today), so the actual tuning could be:

b
f#
c#
G#
E
B

etc.

All the typical variations on tuning follow the same basic scheme, it is just a question of the reference pitch.

the second course is typically considered the reference pitch in Arabic music (rather than an arbitrary A=440, it is the "g" or "nawa" note, whatever it is tuned to).

My recommendation would be:
c'
g
d
A
F
C

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 08:10 PM

I suggest Brian's post be put in the FAQ as it's a very well-put explanation of both the whys and hows of oud tuning.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 08:21 PM

If you change the E of the last and first string to F you get the tuning Brian recommended tuned a fourth higher. Indeed *some* players tune that way But Only With A Set Of Strings Designed To Be Tuned That High. Tune a standard set designed for CFADGC to FADGCF and it is tossup as to whether the strings or the oud breaks first.

For tuning discussions and information use the Search function on this website.
Until you have a chance to read over those discussions here is a brief summary in two points:
1) the four highest strings are always tuned a fourth apart. Remember this and the apparent variety of tunings no longer is at all bewildering.

2) the high E in your friend's tuning breaks with this universal practice. I can't see the advantage in this so I think there is a typo or misunderstanding somewhere.
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 10:28 PM

My Oud instructor has me use D G A D G C.
Don Z
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 05:40 AM

Thanks all! Do you regularly retune just he low string depending on the tonic?

Go To Top