Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tail Block Construction Issues
arigato
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:15 PM
Tail Block Construction Issues

Hi folks,

Like many, I am following Dr. Oud's manual. I have run into an issue with the tail block dimensions however. From the general oud profile given in the manual, it appears that the tail block is less than 87mm high (I get around 74mm) and 10mm thick while the tail block specified dimensions are 87mm tall and 10mm thick. That is, 73mm wide, and 13mm + 74mm radius =87 mm tall. Should I just use a 73mm radius all the way around resulting in a perfect half circle? the profile seems to agree with this.

Thanks!

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 04:46 AM

if its a perfect circle or not doesnt matter as much as where the center of your ribs will connect (center point). Will they connect exactly at the edge of your tail block or will the center point be raised by 1.3cm. This is what allows the last 2 ribs to be square rather than pointed. I would use it and make the last 2 ribs pointed like the rest of the ribs, anyways you will cover this part with a veneer or with and inlay of some sort most likely.

Otherwise with your 15cm wide perfect circle , if you made your tail block perfectly circle and didnt consider the 1.3cm rise, you will have a reduced radius (aprox 7.1cm or so) space to glue the rib ends to the block. Its not the end of the world but you will have to be more carefull when glueing the ends of the ribs.

I have seen ouds and lutes with a very small tail block mind you, something like 10cm wide 5cm radius. The idea is to reduce the weight as much as possible but that is starting to be very small.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
arigato
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-18-2014 at 12:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ive decided to go with a semi circle 74mm radius and have the ribs tie into a 13mm offset. 87 would mean my ribs would have to arch up to high and end up not being long enough

Go To Top