Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New arabian Oud in egyptian style
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alfaraby  
Adel probably means this shape of the legendary Hanna Nahat !
I agree, but yet there are other schools, beside our friends' from Damascus.
Fritz titled the project "... Egyptian style" and on the other hand, he had built another shape here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/files.php?pid=104879&aid=3...
Both are great works, dear pal :)

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

Dear AlFaraby

Thanks a lot for your comment... I see there are some different opinions about the shape of the lower end of the bowl... and as you noticed yet... the style was chosen depending on many egyptian Ouds I´ve seen, and the wish of the customer.

Ofcourse there are other schools and styles... the most of them may be found on the most Ouds made in Syria or Libanon and other countries... but I don´t want to copy all these... making my own experience with the outline of the face, forcing the shape of the bowl.

In the future I will make some more moulds with differing shape, trying to meet the taste of the Oud-playing generation of now and later.

We´ll keep in touch... best wishes to you !

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
No early ouds survive ('out with the old in with the new' philosophy no doubt) so it is difficult to judge but few ouds with a semicircular sound board geometry survive and no lutes as far as I am aware. The best surviving oud of this kind may be that of the Lebanese brothers A-Arja owned by forum member ALAMI.

One of the earliest European lute to survive in original condition by Giovanni Hieber dates to the second half of the 16th C. It has a 'flattened' bottom bowl geometry similar to the admirable oud made by Fritz. Indeed both the European oud masters and the later oud masters such as the Nahat family used a more sophisticated lower bowl geometry that was close to an ellipse in geometry (egg shaped or oval in reality - easier to create than an ellipse).

For a more detailed examination of oud/lute geometry see here:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11186

Geometrical preferences no doubt are also influenced by visual appeal rather than acoustical superiority - as always "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!

Nice work Fritz

Hi jdowning

With very high interest I followed your really high graded examination of constructing the shape of the face of an Oud... and there are many things I totally agree with. Let me say that I will take some of your ideas to create some of the next Oud-moulds to produce a more rounded lower end. But I really think : The idea to make a try to ground the shape to a special base... as you did on some original shapes of Oud-faces... but who knows if this was the real way of construction? It´s easy to make such tries to existing Oud-faces... dpending on the shape given... but to create an own shape... that´s the way I feel ! And the moulds I made are only from my own head and hands. And keep in mind, that I am a German, not surrounded with Ouds in every place, having no player or maker in the near (and far) neighbourhood. And the old masters have had teachers with many years of experience, and their own experience after many years. I am making Oud since a few years, and if I would have more time and freeness, I would have been making some more instruments. Having no teacher, no time and no money... creating and constructing all on my own. The old masters (and new perhaps) are mostly coming from the countries of origin, where the Oud is as usual as the guitar is here. That´s the difference, you know ?

But ofcourse... I try to make my Ouds better every day, and so I like every critics on my making... if good or "bad".. I learn from both !

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Adel Salameh  
Dear friends... I would have not commented on this thread if I did not like Fritz work ... I have said it and I will say it again ... Well done and very beautiful work ... Coming back to my point , the poor player will have to spend more money and time on fixing his / her back and shoulder than he/she spent on the oud ... Their is nothing elegant about a straight line bowl ... Take the cheapest and lower end oud made by Hanna, Roufan, Abdo Nahat and you will see how elegant the bowl is ... Also you have some great examples from the Egyptian school like lacy ... I believe as a player that this kind of straight line should be banned follow stop and makers should think also of the player and how comfortable he/she is with the instrument and not to have any obstacle between them to produce the best which can come out of the instrument ... Best wishes ,
Adel
[url]http://www.adelsalameh.com/oudcamp.php
[/url]

Dear Adel !

It´s fine to see you looking at my instruments and giving a note to them.

I take your critics as a way for me to learn, what some people say about my work. I will react in some way, surely seen in some of my next Ouds... be patient... I am still at the beginning... and I´m learning every day !

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2015 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulO  
Lovely understated work Fritz, can't wait to hear it !!

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul

Fortunately I will get some sound samples from the player I built this Oud for... or from his friend. My playing isn´t good enough to give a good sample... so I depend on people who are playing the Oud.

The sample followes asap ! :-)

Fritz

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top