Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: URGENT: buying a oud with a broken neck
tutti22
Oud Admirer

info.gif posted on 10-6-2014 at 07:26 PM
URGENT: buying a oud with a broken neck

hello,

i am going to look at a oud tomorrow. it is ibrahim sukar's model 212. the person bought it for 700 year ago (although they are worth over 900 now, he says), and is looking to sell it for no less than 500. however, i am concerned because the neck was broken. it has been professionally repaired by a guitar place, but i am worried about paying so much for a oud whose neck might warp over time. how much do you think is a reasonable price to pay? what should i look for when buying it (in regards to the neck, but also the overall oud)
thank you!
hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 04:50 AM

With an abundance of great instruments out there, why would you get an item you know has been damaged? If it was fixed by an oud expert, then that is a different story. $300 is more of a good price.
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2014 at 01:08 PM

Since I am the seller of the oud, I thought I'd let the esteemed members of this group decide if this oud is worth the asking price. As stated above, by the potential buyer, I am willing to accept $500, although I feel the sound quality of the oud is worth more. It is a 4 year old Sukar 212 which had the neck broken during travel. It was repaired by a fellow who knows ouds, and who built his own oud, even though he works at a guitar shop. I earlier posted about this here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=14942#pid10...

I have had the oud tuned to DGAdgc for many months, with no sign of weakness.

So anyways, I have made a short video, as best I can showing the very well done neck repair, as well as the sound of the oud: open strings first, and then a fumbly improv. So, any thoughts on whether this oud is worth $500 or not? It comes with a Sukar hard case, extra set of strings, and a few rishas. I'm interested to know your opinion, because I certainly don't want to sell an oud for more than it's worth, but I certainly want to sell it for what it is worth.

Here's the video (the oud is tuned here to CGAdgc): http://youtu.be/DCRNjZkOXyI

Jack

Go To Top