Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14  15
Author: Subject: My first oud
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-21-2016 at 03:07 PM

If the axial misalignment is very small (and as long as the strings will all lie in alignment over the fingerboard) then I would leave things as they are now. The ends of the braces should all be a close fit against the side ribs of the bowl. To check this temporarily firmly clamp the sound board at the neck block position so that it cannot shift out of alignment and then go around the sound board edge slightly lifting it at each brace end location. Listen and feel for the end of the brace rubbing against the bowl rib as the sound board edge is moved back into contact with the rib. Also look at the end of each brace as the sound board is raised to visually assess if the fit is close.
As the sound hole is open at present another check would be to examine the fit of the braces from within - with sound board clamped in position - using a dentist's inspection mirror and light source or - if available - a low cost digital endoscope. I have not tried this (lutes do not have open sound holes!) but it should be possible. I am currently testing a low cost Chinese digital endoscope (costing only CAN $12!) to see how it might perform as an inspection tool for luthiers for this and other applications. I will post a report on the results sometime when I can get around to it.

It is of course important structurally (and acoustically) that all of the brace ends should be a close fit against the bowl side rib but it is not an easy task to make everything a perfect fit (like everything about making an oud!). Go slowly and take your time and all will be well in the end.

The rosette looks just fine to me as it is, Well done! When I cut lute rosettes (using chisels/knives not saws) I leave everything as it comes fresh off the knife and do not fuss with any clean up (that could spoil the crisp appearance of the finished work). I do usually chip carve the face of a rosette in accordance with lute tradition which does help to improve the appearance but this is easier done in the sound board softwood of a lute than it would in a hard wood rosette material - and one slip of the knife can ruin everything! I leave the paper rosette pattern glued in place as reinforcement - as was the way with early lutes.
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 02:56 AM

thanks Jdowning
I will check, as you suggest, the contact between braces and bowl.
I have the feeling that in the current location are all in contact.

about the rosette I will make small not invasive tests to understand if the aesthetic go better or worse, and then I will decide what to do.
I do not like it very much as it is now!
thanks a lot for everything.
to the next
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 08:54 AM

Goodmorning everyone
I'm coming to the final stage of the construction of my first oud.
I attach the picture of the current state. I'm digging the position for the beard.
soon I'll be ready for painting and, finally, to hear the voice of the oud.
I need some suggestions for the strings to mounted on. someone could advise me make and model of strings that I have to buy?
I thank you all in advance.

20161222_230918 (1).jpg - 161kB 20170103_215823.jpg - 151kB
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 09:14 AM

What do you think of these string?

IMG-20170118-WA0001.jpg - 86kB
Etman
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast !

[*] posted on 1-19-2017 at 08:48 PM

I have tried them for the last 5 months ... I found them to be excellent and very good quality with nice sound .. I use the C-c tuning... I30
I do not think you will regret it .
I like the Aquila strings

Yasser
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2017 at 12:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Etman  
I have tried them for the last 5 months ... I found them to be excellent and very good quality with nice sound .. I use the C-c tuning... I30
I do not think you will regret it .
I like the Aquila strings

Yasser

thank you very much Etman
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2017 at 07:08 AM

I was not able to resist the temptation to feel the oud voice!!!!
:D

I used the following tuning with Aquila strings:
F A D g c f
but I do not know which octaves I am!
There are two octaves between the F and the f?
tuning f, I broke the string twice!
can someone help me?

20170223_225635.jpg - 224kB
obar
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 02:56 AM

The low F should be one halfstep above the low E on a guitar I think (I use C-cc tuning myself). Assuming that you are tuning your oud F A d g c f, the lowest string should be three octaves below the highest f. This gives the oud three and a half octaves of range.

Where do the strings break? At the nut or in between?

Edit: oops, two octaves apart. My mind went low F= first octave, High f= thrid octave.
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 05:01 AM

As far as I know the Aquila strings in the red package should be the 130 set which is used for C F A d g c tuning. Have a look at the package! If you really tuned them a fourth higher than given you'd better not wonder why they break.

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by obar  
The low F should be one halfstep above the low E on a guitar I think (I use C-cc tuning myself). Assuming that you are tuning your oud F A d g c f, the lowest string should be three octaves below the highest f. This gives the oud three and a half octaves of range.

Where do the strings break? At the nut or in between?

Edit: oops, two octaves apart. My mind went low F= first octave, High f= thrid octave.

thanks Obar
in fact I've tuning to two octaves.
so I was not wrong!
the string broke twice, the first near the nut, the second time near the bridge.
I think therefore that the string was defective because I was tuning in right note.
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by newlife_ks  
As far as I know the Aquila strings in the red package should be the 130 set which is used for C F A d g c tuning. Have a look at the package! If you really tuned them a fourth higher than given you'd better not wonder why they break.

I checked. The correct notes were written on small envelopes containing the single string.
So I do not think I was wrong. the string was defective unfortunately!
thanks a lot newlife_ks for your message
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 01:57 AM

Goodmorning everyone
I finally arrived at the end of my big trip in the construction of my first oud !!
They are ready to paint it.
I have a big doubt! The fretboard is to be painted or left to wood?
thanks to those who will help me.

20170321_232714.jpg - 182kB 20170321_232734.jpg - 249kB
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 05:37 AM

Leave it to wood. you can put some lemon oil on it if you want to condition it a little bit.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
Leave it to wood. you can put some lemon oil on it if you want to condition it a little bit.

thanks a lot Samir
can I also use tru oil?

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 08:49 AM

tru oil is a varnish that will dry on top of the wood. What happens is after playing for a few weeks the strings will make grooves into the varnish and it will start to buzz.

lemon oil will penetrate the wood and give it a darker appearance but not dry on top.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 08:54 AM

tru oil is a varnish that will dry on top of the wood. What happens is after playing for a few weeks the strings will make grooves into the varnish and it will start to buzz.

lemon oil will penetrate the wood and give it a darker appearance but not dry on top.

very clear!
grazie
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 12:09 AM

Here it is.
I've attached the pictures of my first finished oud.
I built it for over two years. I started in September 2014!
It was a very difficult time of my life, totally devoid of beautiful things, so I decided to devote myself to my passion, always neglected, the luthiery.
Oud has always been my favorite musical instrument!
Today my life is not in the same difficulty as two years ago, even because of my first oud.
I want to thank all of you who have followed me in this difficult journey, having no experience nothing of luthiery.
Special thanks to Jdowning, who has made available to me his immense culture to help me in this building, and Samircanada for accompanying me with many suggestions and valuable advice to Alfaraby for giving me beautiful roxette designs! Without them, it would not be possible to realize this dream!
Thanks also to all those who have spent a few moments to follow the topic that ends here!
I also hope to attach an audio file to show the sound that sounds great to me!

Soon, friends .. maybe for my second oud!

20170428_192528.jpg - 213kB 20170428_192456.jpg - 193kB 20170428_191641.jpg - 232kB 20170428_191630.jpg - 215kB 20170428_192437.jpg - 171kB 20170428_192536.jpg - 217kB 20170428_192617.jpg - 225kB 20170428_192626.jpg - 244kB 20170428_192644.jpg - 222kB

20170428_192552.jpg - 126kB
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 12:59 PM

Dear faggiuols,

Fantastic work man ! You've got a tremendous eye for detail, the pegbox, contrasting neck, position dots, are so beautifully crafted. The bowl has some terrific grain, and a lovely deep finish. The purfling around the center soundhole is a trip and a half ! I'd been following your oud building journey - just on and off over the past 2 years, so congratulations ! Can't wait to hear how it sounds !!

Best Regards,

Paul
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2017 at 11:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paulO  
Dear faggiuols,

Fantastic work man ! You've got a tremendous eye for detail, the pegbox, contrasting neck, position dots, are so beautifully crafted. The bowl has some terrific grain, and a lovely deep finish. The purfling around the center soundhole is a trip and a half ! I'd been following your oud building journey - just on and off over the past 2 years, so congratulations ! Can't wait to hear how it sounds !!

Best Regards,

Paul

Dear PaulO

Really thanks for your congratulations!
They were very welcome.
I've put into the building this oud all my heart and my passion and I am very happy about how it is done.
There are many defects due to my total inexperience, but all this is right to be part of my first oud.
I am struggling hard in tuning with wooden pegs. The neck seems too big and too thick. I followed Hankey's book, but today but I would do otherwise. Maybe I must get used to it.
As soon as I can, I will link an audio file!
thank you
Regards
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-30-2017 at 03:05 PM

Dear faggiuols - so you made it! Fantastic effort and fine workmanship for which you must be justly very proud. May this instrument be the first of many to come and I trust that it will return beauty, joy and tranquility to your life.
All the very best
John
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 05:23 AM

I don't deserve your compliments Faggiuols. You made a beautiful first oud and as you say I also hope its the first of many. I really like the wood and inlays combination. great job.

If you allow me, the nut where the strings go over neck looks very high! it will be hard to play like this, it needs to be 1mm or even less away from the fingerboard. Now it looks like almost 3mm! It will also lower the action a little bit which seems high at the moment.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 12:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
Dear faggiuols - so you made it! Fantastic effort and fine workmanship for which you must be justly very proud. May this instrument be the first of many to come and I trust that it will return beauty, joy and tranquility to your life.
All the very best
John

Dear John

to know that you followed my topic helped me a lot!
thank you so much
Guido
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2017 at 12:18 AM

I don't deserve your compliments Faggiuols. You made a beautiful first oud and as you say I also hope its the first of many. I really like the wood and inlays combination. great job.

If you allow me, the nut where the strings go over neck looks very high! it will be hard to play like this, it needs to be 1mm or even less away from the fingerboard. Now it looks like almost 3mm! It will also lower the action a little bit which seems high at the moment.

Dear Samir

As always, you don't miss the details.
it's very true. The bridge has to be lowered and the action is still high. All setup has yet to be done. Even pegs are unmanageable and I have great difficulty tuning the oud.
All this I will do in the next few days with calm, but what scares me is to play it !!!
As soon as I finish the setup, I will try to post an audio file!

Thanks to Samir

Guido
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2017 at 09:30 PM

Hey faggiuols

Great work ! Go on like this !!!

I´ve been away from Germany for some time and some reason, leaving all I had, trying to check out a new start with new environment and people.

It´s nice to see you have been active in completing your first Oud, and you must have had many difficulties, but you have mastered them and made them smaller and smaller. So I hope, you will gonm on and in the near future we see more of your work.

I finished some other Ouds, a very worthful one with some fine details, but now I´m not realy able to make Ouds, missing the time and the patience.

I´ve been moving back to germany, there is a completely new workshop in my flat, and one (for rougher things) in my cellar, so it could be possible that I start some new projects in Oud-making.

Kind regards to you, and may be we´ll have some nice postings of your next project ?

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2017 at 11:33 PM

Hi Fritz
It's great to see you're still with us, here in the forum!
I missed you a lot!!!
Your encouragement was very useful.
Thanks for the compliments to my first oud, and I hope everything is fine for you.

I have a next project, it's a archtop bass guitar (I play the bass guitar). I'm still on autocad, doing the project. this forum, I think, not be interested in my new project, but I would be honored if I wanted to follow me (even via mail) in building it!
I greet you and wish you the best things for you!
Guido
ps. Post photos of your work on this forum. I find them wonderful!
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14  15

Go To Top