Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud for sale opinion
Gocauo
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 11:21 AM
Oud for sale opinion

This oud came up for sale in my general area...any opinions/comments?

I asked him to take pics of the manufacturer label.

THANKS!

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/4691185214.html

Gocauo
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-11-2014 at 01:30 PM

Sent the seller a text and he replies it was made by a Murad al-Turki?

Search the board and it seems to be 50/50 on the maker....

Anyone have an opinion? Or any suggestions as to what to look for if I do decide to go take a look?

mike_bendak
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-12-2014 at 10:18 PM

Hi Gocauo,
First of all, Murad el Turki is a capable oud maker capable of making very good instruments. The following is an example of one of Murad's better ouds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj4HduRJtYQ&list=UUVON_nyl3KkTsz...
The taqsim is played by my instructor Ghassan al Yousif. Murad built this specific oud to Ghassan's specifications.

I recently purchased an oud from Murad made to the same specifications as the one in the video. The oud arrived in playable condition with very good tone but needed work (i.e. finishing touches). To begin with, the tuning pegs were not properly fitted nor were they consistent. Secondly, there were string buzzing issues when playing notes close to the nut (eg Mi flat). When hitting the base strings a little harder to get more volume, the strings would buzz due to them hitting the edge of the fingerboard. Additionally, the strings were too close to the face near the pick guard such that my risha kept hitting the face. Finally, the string spacing had to be adjusted and the nut and bridge replaced.

Since I liked the oud, knew that it had potential and wanted to bring out the best from it, I sent the instrument to Richard Hankey (Dr. Oud) for modification/adjustment. He did an awesome job which included fitting a new set of tuning pegs and lifting the string height (i.e. higher bridge) and overlaying the finger board with a sheet of beautiful rosewood in order keep the action reasonably low. I am very pleased with the result.

To answer your question, if you decide to check out the oud, definitely check for the above mentioned issues such as tuning pegs, and buzzing. The $699 asking price is very reasonable in my opinion.

Mike

Gocauo
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 09:42 AM

Thank you very much for your comments/suggestions Mike!

Go To Top