Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stephen Gottlieb Luthier
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 04:07 PM
Stephen Gottlieb Luthier

Stephen Gottlieb - one of the prominent lute makers of modern times - sadly passed away earlier this year.

This video, made about 35 years ago, shows Stephen in his London workshop talking about and making a lute.
I thought that it would be of interest to oud makers (and other forum members who are not luthiers) to appreciate and compare the similarity in technique between making a lute and making an oud.

http://www.editor.net/lutemaker/inthemaking.html
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 05:27 PM

I'm really saddened by the news, he seems a little young to have passed away.. But I guess death comes when it comes, and not according to our schedule. I'm not religious at all, but I once heard someone say "Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans!" May Stephen rest in peace. If he lived his life as a lute maker, regardless of how much money he made, I know he had a good life.

Seems that in this period, he was working from his London high rise! I really enjoyed the video and watching his techniques. A lot of which I actually use myself.. for example, taping the back of the bowl before removing from the mould, gluing the soundboard to the bowl and so on.

This documentary captures what it's like to be in a shop of a luthier....the beautiful silence which I look forward to being at work again tomorrow in to experience. People often tell me they wan't to come watch me make an instrument. I tell them it's as boring as watching flies f*ck! Or maybe like watching grass grow! It takes hours for any given part to be fully fabricated. It's not exciting, but it's something much more rich. Call it what you want.

rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 05:36 PM

Brilliant!

espc around 10:38 watching the rose being detailed

also the music at the end

Honorable work and hope his years after '79 were just as focused and enjoyable

faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-14-2014 at 11:35 PM

I did not know the maker, but the video is very nice.
thanks for sharing.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 04:12 AM

I met Stephen on many occasions before the video was made 35 years ago - so this is how I remember him - as well as Chris Wilson the lutenist in the video. Chris is still active as a performer/teacher and has made a number of recordings. Both some of the nicest persons I have met during my lifetime.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 05:07 AM

Thank you for sharing with us this lovely video, I learned quite a bit from watching it. Sad to hear he was passed away. What better legacy to leave behind than such fine hand crafted instruments that will live on for very long I am sure.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com

Go To Top