Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Another Oud growing up
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 08:38 AM
Another Oud growing up

Hi Folks

Another project started up wich will become perhaps a Bashir... I´ll see it when the body is built, if it matches the wanted features of a Bashir-Oud. Have a look...

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 08:53 AM

Very nice Fritz !
What is that wood ?
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Microber  
Very nice Fritz !
What is taht wood ?

Hi Rob

This wood is "ordinary" european aged maple, but cut in a special direction to leave the rings visble and creating such nice pattern. I have just enough of this wood to make two Ouds, and both of them will be more or less identically. Same method of making, perhaps only the bracing will be another if I make one of them like a Bashir. The one you can see here could become a Bashir...

We will see :)

Best wishes

Fritz

abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fritz  

Attachment: phpCQ8YBQ (46kB)

Fritz, I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I gasped out loud when I opened that attachment.

That grain is stunning!

David
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 11:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by abc123xyz  
Quote: Originally posted by Fritz  

Attachment: phpCQ8YBQ (46kB)

Fritz, I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that I gasped out loud when I opened that attachment.

That grain is stunning!

David

Hi David !

This is a very nice comment !!! Thanks a lot for these kind words !

Too late I saw the pics stored with the wrong endig of file... they had to be .jpgs ... but I saw, they are able to open by everyone... it seems so.

And now to the next pics... I will post them now...

Best wishes

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-20-2014 at 11:22 AM

Here are the next pics... there are only a few ribs missing, they will be assembled the next days. The last rib will be perhaps of mahogany to give a little glossy effect to the unglossy maple.

The same on the sides of the neck and to the bottom side of the pegbox.

Another Oud like this is planned... may be it follows immediately afer completing.

One can imagine the complete looking, could´nt one ?

Best wishes to you all...

Fritz

Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-21-2014 at 10:51 AM

I already said it : VERY NICE !!!
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 06:04 AM

hello Fritz

this bowl is wonderful!!
looks like the wing of a bird ...
fantastic!
full of poetry ...
I want to follow as you go forward!
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by faggiuols  
hello Fritz

this bowl is wonderful!!
looks like the wing of a bird ...
fantastic!
full of poetry ...
I want to follow as you go forward!

Hi faggiuols

That´s exactly what I thought first when I assembled the first few ribs, like feathers on a wing, one lapped over the next .
Laying the unbent ribs flat on the floor while checking the position of each rib there wasn´t this image in head... but on the mould there it comes spontaneously ! It needed the ribs tapered and bent, mounted on the mould to really see what it has become.

Ofcourse I will post the further growing of this instrument :)

Do you think it will look fine with the last rib on each side made of mahogany ?

May be the contrast is too hard... but on the other side there isn´t much "colour" without using other woods for some parts... only for the effect. I think, it´s too "effect-less" without the mahogany ribs. Another thought was, that the mahogany ribs are carrying the face better than the relatively soft european maple. So I would create a good base to mount the face. The acoustic effect is : The harder the "frame" to mount the face, the less it will "diffuse" the sound by giving too much impulse to the ribs of softer wood... you must imagine this movements in time lapse... you know ?

Puh... hundreds of thoughts creating a fine Oud... but the most is decided during the building steps... from one to next... more from stomach than from head...

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2014 at 09:44 AM

I already said it : VERY NICE !!!

Hey Rob :)

Wait some days... I try to make good progress, but I can work on it only after my hated damned unsatisfying thanksless unpayed slave-job :(

So I have only some moments to really focus on Oud-making... to live the passion... you know ?

Kind greetings to you

Fritz

faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 12:30 AM

hello Fritz
know that I am not an expert so I speak from feeling, not from experience.
Mahogany me spembra break too.
I would prefer to continue with the maple but it can be said only after.
I follow you with pleasure!
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 02:14 AM

hello Fritz
I saw that you are a flamenco guitarist!
a friend of mine is building a guitar "blanca", with body in cypress, cedrela neck and ebony fingerboard. I'm helping him even in my limited experience, he is in his first work of liuthery.
if you have any advice or information to send me I would be grateful.
hello
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:43 AM

hello Fritz
know that I am not an expert so I speak from feeling, not from experience.
Mahogany me spembra break too.
I would prefer to continue with the maple but it can be said only after.
I follow you with pleasure!

Hi you, faggiuols

It is good to look with feeling, not only with brain ! Ofcourse one could think about a prob days and weeks, with mathematical and physical structures and tons of algebra, but always the better instrument is this built with feeling, heart and soul ! So it is good to know about some (or many) facts and relations, but I know : An instrument has to be an expression of the builder, an artwork ! And every work of art doesn´t need an overload of physics. I am creating and building Ouds as an artwork... following the tradition.. where (in the past) never an Oud-maker had any knowledge about measurements about frequencies and so on... and I am sure, no Oud-maker in the past was sure wich thickness the top will have when ready built. They made it as thin as possible, depending on the tools they had and the skill. They never matter about a tenth of a mm here or there more or less. And some braces are not rectangular not because it was a special feature... no... the glue was getting cold after applying, so they had to work fast... and when the brace was in place and had contact with the top, the worker had to press it to make a good tight joint ... even when it was not exactly applied as wanted...! And you can see, how asked the instruments are today. Or is it only the name of the maker, that someone wants ta have in the instrument... paying lots of money for it

Today we use to compare the methods of guitar-making with those of Oud-making... that cannot work ! Also the methods of ceating a wanted sound. Wood is too different ! An Oud has to sound like an Oud, not like a reproduceable mass-product. So it needs the differences in sound and features.. and the special touch and taste of the maker... creating a unique instrument with unique features. THIS is tradition and holding up the art for itself !

The old instruments are played for many decades... and no player would matter of a brace 1 mm higher than on another soundboard. He wouldn´t see it ! He decides on sound and taste to play this Oud or another.

That´s my opinion...

And in this way I build my Ouds... with passion and feeling.. and ofcourse knowledge and skill, this is the feedback I got until today... and I will do my best to keep this feedback real !

Sorry about my bad english...

Best wishes

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 08:57 AM

hello Fritz
I saw that you are a flamenco guitarist!
a friend of mine is building a guitar "blanca", with body in cypress, cedrela neck and ebony fingerboard. I'm helping him even in my limited experience, he is in his first work of liuthery.
if you have any advice or information to send me I would be grateful.
hello

Hi again

Yes, I spent 30 years to the flamenco-guitar... but... after some years on stage, I got a sepsis in the right shoulder and my right hand wasn´t able to make the fine controlled movements requiered for flamenco-playing as an art. I built some good blancas (and only blancas) in the style of Don Antonio de Torres (the greatest)... sold them all... I had a lot of guitars by good makers including a very fine blanca de hermanos Conde.. a Media Luna A 26 with shellaque finish... made in 2003 (value 10000 € )... I got it a few years later... a really very fine guitar ( but not as lightweighted as my Ricardo Sanchis Carpio F1)... and almost immediately after buying this guitar my right arm and hand began to ache ... and so it is today... with many other things on top.

But... ofcourse you can ask what you want, if I can help, I will !

Good vibes !

Fritz

faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 09:15 AM

hello Fritz
besides appreciating your oud, I love very much also your philosophy ...
I saw your website and your oud .. fantastic! I like your style!
they are all beautiful!
if you do not mind I will take some ideas for my oud under construction.
10 years ago I built a classic guitar with the help of a luthier and now I'm at my first oud. if you want to help me in my path I'd be happy.
per la Blanca ti chiederò sicuramente aiuto
by and thanks

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 11:31 AM

hello Fritz
besides appreciating your oud, I love very much also your philosophy ...
I saw your website and your oud .. fantastic! I like your style!
they are all beautiful!
if you do not mind I will take some ideas for my oud under construction.
10 years ago I built a classic guitar with the help of a luthier and now I'm at my first oud. if you want to help me in my path I'd be happy.
per la Blanca ti chiederò sicuramente aiuto
by and thanks

It seems, you are italian native... buon giorno :-)

Surely you can take ideas for Oud-making from my site and the pics I made. If someone takes my ideas, it´s like a sign, that I made something right :)

And ofcourse you get my help for the flamenca blanca, if I can help.

For this you might give me your private mail address... it´s easier to write a mail with pics and so on, you know...

Buona notte :)

Fritz

Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 10:39 AM

What is a "blanca" ?
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-25-2014 at 09:07 PM

What is a "blanca" ?

Hey Rob :)

A blanca (guitarra flamenca blanca) means a guitar made of bright shiny wood like maple or cypres, not rosewood for example, wich would be named "negra", like every dark-wooded guitar.
The term "Blanca" in flamenco describes a guitar whose back and sides are made of cypres, mostly with a top made of very fine spruce with a high rigidity. A blanca creates a more brilliant sound, has a harder and faster attack and reacts immediately on every finger hitting a string (right AND left hand !)... the sound is clear, more bright, sharp differencing every note.
In general a flamenca blanca is built with less height at neck-joint and end of body, perhaps 92mm at the end-block and 85-86mm at neck-joint (this also is than the diameter of the sound hole). The body has sharper curves, a smaller taille, but the area around the bridge perhaps is more round than triangular, like many (the most) classical guitars. There are only millimeters creating some differences between flamencas and classicals, but again between flamenca negras and blancas.

Puh... It´s very very interesting, managing these themes and discussing about the "micro-physics" of a blanca, but... like always... the heart and the soul and passion of the maker is always more efficient for good quality and soundability (and ... ofcourse, playability !) of an instrument.

I hope ... not to over-answer your question :)

Greetings

Fritz

faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2014 at 02:24 AM

fantastic
thanks fritz
my email is:
guido.faggioli@gmail.com
Tell me if I become annoying hassle-free!
hello
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:13 AM

Hey guys

Here are the next pics of my newborn bowl :)

I decided to assemble the last narrow ribs of bright mahogany to give an effect of contrast and a bit more gloss to the look. This gives the body a bit more volume inside to create a very warm tone and sound.

This body will be very lightweight and sensible to every impulse to the face.

Only the mirror is missing... but follows soon...

We will see... or hear :)

[file]33020[/file] [file]33022[/file] [file]33024[/file] [file]33026[/file] [file]33028[/file]

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:18 AM

fantastic
thanks fritz
my email is:
guido.faggioli@gmail.com
Tell me if I become annoying hassle-free!
hello

I wrote you a mail... :)

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 10:49 AM

nice Fritz I like the bowl very much. you know I would try to continue the mahogany along the neck also, it would give a nice apearance.

is that 25 ribs? you are brave... thats a lot of work!

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 11:54 AM

:applause::applause::applause:
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
nice Fritz I like the bowl very much. you know I would try to continue the mahogany along the neck also, it would give a nice apearance.

is that 25 ribs? you are brave... thats a lot of work!

Hi Samir !

Yes, there are 25 ribs... it was a must to save as much as possible of this wood for the effect ... And... really, this was a lot of time (and nerv-)consuming work :)

And ofcourse I will continue the mahogany in the sides of the neck to reinforce the effect given by this contrast to the maple. Only "black & white" is too heavy... tha maple of bowl, neck and pegbox, to the ebony of the fingerboard and pegs. So this small stripes of a darker colour between is right to make the looking "comfortable" and not so strong and hard. May be the bridge is of dark red-brown wood it repeates the lower contrast and gives the face a fine looking. But I don´t know what to take for the pick guard ? Perhaps grain-alternating mahogany as I used on the last two Ouds. For the ornament in the sound-hole I try to create a pattern with a bird... or some more little birds around a central circle with an arabic script inside, remembering the feather-like look of the bowl !

So much ideas :-)

We will see ...

... and thanks for the nice reply

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 01:19 PM

:applause::applause::applause:

:) :) :)

But... Rob... I don´t think it will become a Bashir... the bowl is very deep (nearly 19cm)... it might have "too much" volume for a Bashir... I think of making a traditional bridge with perhaps a fingerboard continued to the sound hole... only one sound hole.

I have a top "on stock" wich is very soft spruce with nice structures in darker coloured areas. This would be good for the general appearence of the Oud I think... wouldn´t it ?
I´ll try to make a pic of the top... next days... But befor I have to make the mirror... but I haven´t an idea yet :)

Again this Oud will have a small inner curve in the face to give a low action while ensuring good playability over the pick guard.

Good things are needing time :-) And I want to make good things...

Best wishes to all

Fritz

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top