Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Another Oud growing up
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 12:12 PM

The face for the maple-Oud

Taking a very old and soft spruce top wirh many "flesh" between the rings and a fine looking structure I began making the inlays around the sound hole...

Two of the inlays around the main mosaique ring are already inserted, two are following... The main ring is made very precisely with alternating pattern bright and dark in some contrasting slim lines.

Have a look...

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 11:38 PM

WOW!!!!
:applause:
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2014 at 11:03 AM

Here is the top I spoke about... for the maple-Oud

The inlays are ready...

Have a look

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-31-2014 at 11:44 AM

oh nice!
I like the 4 diamond design. very nice inlays. clean work!

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
oh nice!
I like the 4 diamond design. very nice inlays. clean work!

Hi Samir

Again a lot of work, but I have my method to create such inlays.

But I saw your inlays around a sound hole... on the face of the walnut Oud on your site... wow, thats very nice... and reminds me immedialtely on the Ouds of Ghadban, as I replied in my comment for the pics. How have you made the tiles for the small triangulars ? Did you made the tiles in a long "block" with the wanted colours and then sawing the 1mm thick parts ? I Think, I would do it this way...

Kind regards

Fritz

Gocauo
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 10:53 AM

Thank is very sweet looking!
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gocauo  

Thank is very sweet looking!

Thanks a lot for your comment :)

Fritz

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 07:47 AM

nice my friend

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
nice my friend

Thanks a lot... and now the next pics :-)

Best wishes to you

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 09:25 AM

The next pix of the top I make for the maple-Oud...

The pick guard is completed, the design is of an old Nahat-Oud, from wich I made a replique... this instrument was an order... already sold ofcourse

The inlay is matching with the other ornaments of the Oud... all created on my own...

Now the pix

[file]33080[/file] [file]33082[/file]

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 01:58 PM

Hi guys

There is some progress with the Oud... here are some new pics...

The mirror is made and inlayed today, also the paper stripes are ready, and the bowl is ready for the label... The bowl has got some layers of shellaque to prevent the fine sanded wood from glue when working on it... There is a very elegant shine in the maple... looks great in the light when turning the bowl... it reflects in all directions...

Have a look

[file]33160[/file]

[file]33164[/file] [file]33162[/file]

abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fritz  

Oh my goodness...

That may be, to my taste at least, the most beautiful back on an oud I have ever seen.

Which is not to say that the front is not excellent, it is. It's just that your cut of the grain is something new and really unique to my own eyes. It recalls the thoughtful choice of wood and grain pattern found in a lot of luxury furniture of the Art Déco period.

That diamond inset at the tail is so tasteful, like the inlays on the front.

David
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 01:25 AM

Quote:

Oh mio Dio ... Che può essere, a mio gusto, almeno, la più bella di nuovo su un oud che abbia mai visto. Il che non vuol dire che il fronte non è eccellente, è. E 'solo che il taglio del grano è qualcosa di nuovo e davvero unico per i miei occhi. Ricorda la scelta da parte di legno e grano modello trovato in un sacco di mobili di lusso del periodo Art Déco. Questo inserto di diamante in coda è così di buon gusto, come gli intarsi sul davanti.

are quite agree!
is really wonderful !!!
great
:applause::applause::applause:
abc123xyz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by faggiuols  

Oh mio Dio ... Che può essere, ...

Wow, it sounds even better in Italian! :·D

The ribs remind some of us of feathers, Fritz, and there are besides "eyes" in the grain, so may I be so bold as to dub this oud The Peacòck Oud, or Il Pavone, or maybe better der Pfau or die Pfauenlaute? :·)

David

(Sorry, the forum's automation won't allow me to post "còck" in its regular spelling ¦·D)
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by abc123xyz  
Quote: Originally posted by Fritz  

Oh my goodness...

That may be, to my taste at least, the most beautiful back on an oud I have ever seen.

Which is not to say that the front is not excellent, it is. It's just that your cut of the grain is something new and really unique to my own eyes. It recalls the thoughtful choice of wood and grain pattern found in a lot of luxury furniture of the Art Déco period.

That diamond inset at the tail is so tasteful, like the inlays on the front.

David

Hey abc123xyz or.... David :)

Wow... so many well sounding words in just two or three sentences : Do I deserve this ?

If you say, this Oud has the most beautyful back you´ve ever seen, than I think, you haven´t seen much :-) I have seen Ouds with much more beautiful woods, but the maker of these Ouds are well known, they are selling many Ouds, and they are doing this in a country, where the wood isn´t as horrible expensive as it is in Germany... and they are able to make Ouds of the finest materials, because the costs of the materials aren´t the biggest amount to invest for making an instrument. Here in Germany you have with "luck" a job... meaning no money and no time... so how could I get such woods... No chance :(

I am unknown, so fortunately my Ouds are sold time to time... and this is the reason I am able to make the next Oud... one after another. Also the tools... ofcourse I´d like to have better tools, but they are expensive, so I can´t buy them.

I make possible what´s possible with the things I have... allways trying to get best results. One example is perhaps this Oud you like so much... and your words are honest I think. I´m glad to read such words about my work... this is what feeds my passion and my wish to go on with Oud-making.

Thank you so much !!!

Fritz

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 04:14 PM

Quote:

Oh mio Dio ... Che può essere, a mio gusto, almeno, la più bella di nuovo su un oud che abbia mai visto. Il che non vuol dire che il fronte non è eccellente, è. E 'solo che il taglio del grano è qualcosa di nuovo e davvero unico per i miei occhi. Ricorda la scelta da parte di legno e grano modello trovato in un sacco di mobili di lusso del periodo Art Déco. Questo inserto di diamante in coda è così di buon gusto, come gli intarsi sul davanti.

are quite agree!
is really wonderful !!!
great
:applause::applause::applause:

Hi faggiuols

If my italian would be as good as your english, I would be able to read your text without thinking about some words... but it´s clear, that you gave me a very big compliment !

It seems to repeat the meaning and text of abc123xyz (David).. a translation ?

If you agree with him... also many thanks to you !!!

I am very exited what´s happening next, when I go on with this Oud... Today I selected the next pieces of wood I will use to make the neck and the sides and the bottom of the pegbox.

So I have to wait until the next step is done to see what it´s going to be when the completing of this Oud gets in reachable farness :-)

Also to you the best wishes

Fritz

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 06:41 PM

i want to add my encouragement. this is oud bowl is very beautiful and you were able to take this humble wood and make it look nicer than some of the most expensive woods. I am a fan of your work, keep going man!

also to be honest I think you have improved very much from your first couple of ouds.

you will have no problems selling this one :)

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 12:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
i want to add my encouragement. this is oud bowl is very beautiful and you were able to take this humble wood and make it look nicer than some of the most expensive woods. I am a fan of your work, keep going man!

also to be honest I think you have improved very much from your first couple of ouds.

you will have no problems selling this one :)

Samir...

Again so many very kind words... many many thanks to you.
Ofcourse I make the most beauyiful as possible with the material I have or I could get. The most important is, to know what will be the result... and so I take a special look to the woods I will work with in order to transform to an Oud.

And... when I am not able to learn from one Oud to the next, I have to lay down this work... It´s a must to make progress in every art... stagnation is the dead of every work.

Ofcourse I would be happy to be able to use flamed / curled / clouded maple (or other)... but even this block of wood, standing in the edge of the workshop of a carpenter for many years... was telling me...make an Oud of me :) So I did... and the result seems to be welcome ... For me it´s important to be able to use every wood... meaning not only exotic woods to create nice and well sounding instruments... to give every wood the "chance" to live again in an instrument.

Thanks to you, Samir, and to all others giving me this friendly feedback !!!

Best wishes to all of you !

Fritz

faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 12:25 PM

Quote:

If my italian would be as good as your english, I would be able to read your text without thinking about some words... but it´s clear, that you gave me a very big compliment !

sorry Fritz
I pasted the translation rather than the text.
however well you understand what I mean ...
I always follow you very carefully and I always hope that you post new pictures of your beautiful instrument.
bye
faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 01:07 PM

honestly ....
I stay hours to watch your bowl!
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2014 at 02:02 PM

Quote:

sorry Fritz
I pasted the translation rather than the text.
however well you understand what I mean ...
I always follow you very carefully and I always hope that you post new pictures of your beautiful instrument.
bye

Hey faggiuols

What ever you have wanted to post, I understood clearly :)

May be next days are following new pics... and soon the face will be assembled ...

Kind regards

Fritz

faggiuols
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 09:59 AM

I expect them Fritz!
now your bowl is famous throughout Sardinia .. I show the pics to everyone I meet hoping they share the poetry of your instrument with me. in truth few are interested. But my mother. which is a musician (playing the piano) was enchanted.
I await the photos.
bye
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 10:45 AM

Here are the next pics... "only" the bridge

I decided to take a very "simple" tracing, following the end of the bowl while giving most effect again with the wood... flamed walnut of high qualitiy... light in weight fut very stiff... the tie-block covered with ebony. I hope, one can see or imagine the light-"flickering" of the flamed wood.

I decided also NOT to give the block an inlay... perhaps it would seem a bit overloaded with this extra. The main eye-cather ist the face and that´s "enough". In the case I would have made an inlay there, I had to "repeat it at the other end of the instrument... and where shall I use this inlay ? On the pegbox ? No... the pegbox has to follow the main "stream" of the design... making the wood speaking for itself.

I don´t know why, but the pics aren´t converted to .jpeg... after trying 4 times I gave it up...

[file]33246[/file] [file]33244[/file] [file]33242[/file]

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 11:11 AM

I expect them Fritz!
now your bowl is famous throughout Sardinia .. I show the pics to everyone I meet hoping they share the poetry of your instrument with me. in truth few are interested. But my mother. which is a musician (playing the piano) was enchanted.
I await the photos.
bye

Have a look at the pix... Suddenly my prog won´t change them in .jpeg... so there isn´t a preview... damned ! Porca miseria :)

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 03:28 PM

Fritz - try renaming and reposting your image files.
Your current file names may include a reserved 'Windows' file symbol such as / or # or @ or whatever (who knows with Windows operating systems!).
Try keeping your image file titles in plain English (or German) without any 'banned' Windows shorthand symbols otherwise your files will be renamed for you by the forum system with those weird file names.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247%28...

Nice work by the way.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top