Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chords on the oud
_Bolahenk_
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 11:04 AM
Chords on the oud

Hey everybody, hope you are doing well.
So I was trying to figure out how to play chords on the oud, knowing that the oud is a melodic instrument primarily. I've found the video Navid made and also some chords in the Hal Leonard method book. Do you have any other resources to learn about chords?
What i dont understand in the method book is how to press tow strings with one finger(i mean two sets of strings of course :P) ...that seems to be impossible to me. What do you think? Here is the description...

Thank you guys!

http://img.etonals.com/p/large/HL_00695836__006_00695836p28z.jpg

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 11:52 AM

I'm not sure why you think this is impossible or difficult. I will guess that you are using your finger in the same way as if playing only one double string. That won't work, even if each of your fingers were as wide as a very big thumb.

For fingering two courses (double strings) at once, flatten the finger. Don't use the tip of the finger or the pad of the first finger joint, as you would for a single course. If you look at the diagrams at the links you posted you'll see that when one finger is used for more than one course that the finger is held flat. A flat finger on two courses at once is no problem. Oud strings are soft. Oud action is low. 6 courses at once is a challenge. 5 at once is not easy. 4 or 3 at once are easy and painless. So 2 courses is zero problem.

As for learning about chords: Learn your fingerboard, learn the formula for each type of chord (easily found on the internet) and invent your own chords. It will take you one hour to understand and then, over time, the chords will suggest themselves, although with the two resources you are already using, perhaps most possibilities are already covered.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck!

Quote: Originally posted by _Bolahenk_  
Hey everybody, hope you are doing well.
So I was trying to figure out how to play chords on the oud, knowing that the oud is a melodic instrument primarily. I've found the video Navid made and also some chords in the Hal Leonard method book. Do you have any other resources to learn about chords?
What i dont understand in the method book is how to press tow strings with one finger(i mean two sets of strings of course :P) ...that seems to be impossible to me. What do you think? Here is the description...

Thank you guys!

http://img.etonals.com/p/large/HL_00695836__006_00695836p28z.jpg

_Bolahenk_
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-30-2014 at 11:45 AM

Hey Jody! Thank you, I guess I haven't tried hard enough. I've read some articles today about harmony and chords and it makes more sense to me now.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 07:28 PM

My opinion..

Don't play chords on the oud.. almost at all. Play them on the guitar. Play maqamaat on the oud.

Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 11:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  

Don't play chords on the oud.. almost at all. Play them on the guitar. Play maqamaat on the oud.

I agree with John (Bulerias). Playing chords is possible but i find it rarely sounds nice.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 01:20 PM

That's why the Europeans invented the lute.. tied frets on the neck. Hard to play chords cleanly and nicely on the oud.

The oud is a rhythmic/melodic modulation machine. This aspect should be taken advantage of if you have an oud. And it would take you a lifetime to master that style in itself. It's a different approach to music of course. You lose some and gain some as I see it.

danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 10:54 AM

I find that chords work fine only with NAHAWAND in C, and AJJAM in C basically (I mean AJJAM in the equally temperated version).
I agree that oud has nothing or very little to do with chords, but as long as you play C major, Cminor, Fmajor and F minor it sounds nice while playing in Nahawand of Ajjam. I consider chords like "ornaments" or special colours of Nahawand maqam :) Other chords, especially when they involve 3 fingered strings or more, sound bad to me, they are quite difficult to play, and actually there's no need to learn them :)
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 11:22 PM

every maqam has a few harmonies which work very nice for it. but it usually sounds better if you use modal harmony and not traids. try building chords made primarily of 5ths and 4ths, but you can use also 9ths, 6ths, 3rds etc..
i am not a fan of people who play guitar-like chords on the oud but saying that oud cannot play chords or even to say that there is no harmony in maqam based- music i think is very flat, and wrong.

Go To Top