Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nouna al Hana
gkhouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:07 PM
Nouna al Hana

Friends - I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about Nouna al Hana, نونا الهنا , the singer on one of Munir Bashir's late recordings. I have only been able to find out that she was/is from Lebanon and was living for a time between the US and Lebanon. There are only two YouTube postings of her singing which I could find. Does anyone know anything more about her and/or her work? The only English references I come up with is that she sang with Bashir's quartet. I can't read much Arabic so I can't really do a search in that language.
Thanks,
George Khouri
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 01:18 PM

There are a few posts on the http://www.sama3y.net and www. ayamina.com forums, but I am neither a member nor fluent enough in Arabic to know if there is anything of substance posted there.

http://www.sama3y.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88503

http://www.ayamina.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3333

Peace out,
"Udi" John
gkhouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 02:53 PM

Thanks John. Using google translate I was able to register and get around a little on these sites. The google translation of Arabic has a ways to go. I found a few mp3s, other than those on the Bashir Quartet recording. I'm hoping some of our Arabic-speaking colleagues, perhaps from the Levant, had heard or knew her pre-Bashir. It is clear from the search results on these two sites that she isn't/wasn't completely obscure outside of the Bashir recording.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 03:22 PM

LOL, George! I cut and pasted a post from Sama3y.com into Babylon and got this:

"Suspended Professor Fadel al-Khaled recommend to participate/55: the singer) Nona Elhana) has been obliged Baghdad radio broadcast this song we have heard them in the end of the Decade of the 1950s and early 1960s , which I remember was mentioned by the singer of the votes that he was listening to a Musician of generations, Professor Mohamed Abdul Wahab, at his arrival to Lebanon to spend summer months in those periods as mentioned that Lebanese journalist, Professor) George Ibrahim Al-Khouri) in its author, without which aside from the biography of Abdul Wahab, which I read here more than ten years ago" :D

A long way to go, indeed!

-JE

Go To Top