Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tuning question
journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 12:24 PM
tuning question

If I tune the 3rd between the F and A strings perfectly, the higher strings are slightly flat in relation to the bottom C and F strings. So, I started tuning that 3rd slightly sharp. It doesn't sound as nice as a perfectly in tune 3rd, but now the top strings are in tune. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? -Roy

roypatterson.com
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 01:08 PM

Interesting topic, Roy. Yes I do think about it and occasionally this anomaly causes tuning problems. My solution, as follows, usually works:

I begin with gg which I tune to a fixed pitch source ( an electronic tuner, a piano, a pitch pipe, etc.) I then tune the remaining 3 of the 4 upper courses in perfect fourths by ear, as perfect as I can, which may not be perfect but is a lot better than what an electronic tuner would give me. I then tune the FF course so that the first course cc is a perfect fifth above the octave of the FF course. Then I tune the low C course 2 octaves below the high cc course. If I'm playing something where the AA course is the tonic, then I check the AA with a fixed pitch source and make any necessary adjustments.

This works for most things I'd want to play. So far, nothing I play needs a sweet perfect third between the FF and AA courses. My fingered A notes on the dd or gg courses are supported by the overtones from AA and dd courses, so it's ok that the 4th upper partial in the overtone series from the FF is slightly flat to that and it's ok that the third between the FF and AA open courses is awfully wide.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 02:24 PM

Jody's process is similar to mine, which I'll outline below. The reason for this is that 4ths/5ths and 3rds are based on different tuning ratios, and while this is not necessarily a problem if you stick to one or a few keys, it is problematic if you are using the wrong reference for your needs.

In Arabic music, the reference is the nawa string (written and nowadays mostly tuned to g below middle c', written an octave higher than it sounds). Pure 5ths are tuned to a 3/2 ratio. 4ths are derived from switching octaves (2/1 ratio going up or 1/2 ratio going down). If we take G as being 196hz, then D below is 147hz (196*3/2)/2 and A is 110.25hz. To get C above G, we treat C as the reference so that 196Hz=XHz(3/2), where X represents the frequency of C below G (130.666_Hz) and raise that up an octave, which gives us 261.333_Hz.
For reference, here are the pure tones vs. equal tempered equivalents:
C Pure5=261.33Hz ET=261.63Hz (ET is ±2¢ higher)
G reference= 196Hz
D Pure5=147Hz ET=146.83Hz (ET is ±2¢ lower)
A Pure5=110.25Hz ET=110Hz (ET is ±4¢ lower)

As you can see, these are fairly close.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 02:42 PM

For F, we get 87.1111_Hz following the same formula, compared to 87.31Hz for ET (about 4¢ higher).

2¢ is generally considered undetectable except in unusual circumstances, and 4¢ is the beginning of detectable tuning differences . . . so equal temperament is actually OK for the open strings (putting aside the issues of unreliable tuners).

Now, what happens if we just get to the A, and tune the F so that the A is the third of the F?
Thirds are tuned in a ratio of 5/4.

A = F(5/4), so A/(5/4) = F
If A is 110.25, then F = 88.2Hz

This is about 22¢ higher than the one we got by tuning the F and C together, and about 18¢ higher than ET! No wonder you notice it . . .

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 02:45 PM

So here is how I tune:

g to a reference
c' to g
d to g
A to d

So far, just like Jody. What I do different is that I touch the 3rd harmonic of the F string to get a C an octave and a half up, and tune that in unison to the c' string (basically the same as tuning the F and C to a 12th but easier to hear and more reliable), then do the same thing with the low C and the g (play the third harmonic and tune unison to the g string). The third harmonic is located where the neck meets the body.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 03:47 PM

I often do that as well. It is a reliable way of determining "a fifth above the octave of the fundamental".

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

So far, just like Jody. What I do different is that I touch the 3rd harmonic of the F string to get a C an octave and a half up, and tune that in unison to the c' string
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2014 at 09:27 PM

Wow, you guys are heavy. Thanks so much for this; I'll check it out for sure.

roypatterson.com
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2014 at 02:21 AM

just want to add i tune the same way Jody and Brian mentioned.
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 08:37 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the instructions on tuning Brian and Jody. That method works great and takes the guesswork out of tempering that 3rd between the F and A. -Roy

roypatterson.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 11:39 AM

You're welcome!

For reference, if you actually wanted to play in F (and have the A in tune), you would tune the F, C, and G to one another, then the A to the F and the D to the A . . . this would leave the D and G out of tune with each other, which is less of a problem but still an issue. You could mitigate this by tuning the A slightly sharp and the D and G slightly flatter to spread that 22¢ out between the different intervals.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Go To Top