Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need help finding good music to learn!
DonHomero
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-3-2014 at 09:47 PM
Need help finding good music to learn!

Hello, everyone,

I've been teaching myself to play the oud for about 11 months or so now, and I've run into a problem. I'm having a very difficult time finding music to learn that is in the "DGADGC" tuning (according to this website http://www.arabinstruments.com/oud/oud-resources/oud-tuner). I'm trying to stick with that tuning because I figured it would be easier to learn just one tuning for now.

I'm already learning Simon Shaheen's music (inadvisable without a teacher, I know, but I don't live close enough to my state's major city to really have good, live oud resources anyways.) I've also learned a bit of "Le Trio Joubran." I'd like to learn Nasser Shamma, but I think the tuning he tends to use would mess up my oud. I'm still a novice, though, so I have no idea what I'm doing in general!

Anyone have any ideas? I'll be forever in your debt!
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 07:35 AM

Hi Don,

Welcome to the world of oud. There is no turning back as you have sold your soul for the cause!

About where to begin, it's a really good idea to find a teacher unless you're familiar enough with the tradition. Also, I wouldn't take much advice about learning the oud from arabinstruments, as they are merely merchants. I teach private lessons on skype, let me know if you're interested in that. I was fortunate to live in NY so I was able to study with Simon Shaheen, among many others. Attending Simon's summer retreat is a great way to boost your ability in a short amount of time and give you a structure to follow. But you'd have to wait until August for that.

Good luck!,
John

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:11 AM

When you say, "music to learn," do you mean you are looking for songs to learn by ear or looking for sheet music, or both?
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 10:37 AM

For music for a new oud player (I don't know from your post what your general musical skill level is, whether you are a total musical beginner or a master jazz guitarist already, or something in between), I don't recommend starting with the kind of material Simon Shaheen typically plays (original compositions, and Ottoman Classical music, if memory serves). I generally start my students with simpler songs, some learned by reading music sheets and some learned by ear (I mix it up, because both skills are important, IMHO). The idea is to learn simpler songs well and develop the ability to embellish them--with a good understanding of maqam--before moving on to more complex pieces. I think you will develop better confidence and a better feel for the music than if you start out trying to play sama'is, longas, and peshrevs.

I suggest trying the qudud Halabiyya (old Aleppo folk songs) for good material. A good source is the page for Sabah Fakhri on AhYaSalam.com - http://www.ahyasalam.com/?artistid=22&lang=EN I suggest learning a couple songs using the music sheets to get a feel for the music, then trying to pick some out to learn by ear.

Good luck and welcome to the World of Oud!

Peace out,
"Udi" John
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 04:39 PM

Hello Don Homero, welocme!
For istance, let's make a point clear: with your tuning you can play every traditional or classical arabic piece. With no exeption. You could have problems only with modern compositions (when the composers play with the ff tuning). Arabic traditional music goes from low G (called Yakah) to 2 octaves higher G (Ramal Tuti, as far as I remember). The arabic oud is always tuned cc\gg\dde\aa\ in the first 4 strings (unless you're not using the ff tuning, or iraqi tuning). Only the bass strings may change: G may be F, and D could be C. It depends on the taste. But I repeat, with your tuning you can play every classical piece. However, you could by the very good sheet music antology called CLASSICAL ARABIC INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC. There are many longas and samai (basically the most popoular), written in a simple way. Look for it in the internet; I really suggest it.
For listening (if you play by ear), get the SImon Shaheen's album "TURATH". In Spotify, I also found "SIMPLIFIED MIDDLE EASTERN SONGS" by Carmine T. Guida. It's a playlist of middle eastern classics, played very slow and simple by a clarinet and a darbouka. It's very good for learning the melody that you can eventually develop and ornate yourself. I would stick to traditionl material at the moment, and I would leave modern compositions. Good luck!
DonHomero
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 06:13 PM

Thank you all for your help!

I'm learning primarily by ear because I'm not very confident in my sheet reading skills anymore, but I'd be open to sheet music as long as it's relatively simple. Maybe that would help me to go back to the basics before continuing to learn contemporary songs.

It sounds like I need to get a good understanding of maqam(s?) before I really progress any further, considering I don't know much of the theory. The idea of lessons on Skype intrigues me as well.

Also: thanks for the information about tuning! For the longest time I've really had no concept of what I could and couldn't play. That makes me feel a great deal better.

I'll check back in soon and share what I've figured out. Thanks again for the help! This forum is awesome.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-4-2014 at 08:17 PM

With this form of music, learning by ear is encouraged. Though with my students I try to work on all their weak points. I do give sheet music, and its good to listen to recordings. Learn the pieces by ear with the aid of sheet music.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 05:32 AM

Hi friend,
check this website http://www.maqamworld.com/ its a great ressource for Maqam theory.

I agree, by ear is the way to go.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:22 AM

Don Homero, there are many things to learn. You should work on 3 things: 1) tecnique exercises 2) playing simple arabic pieces. 3) getting into maqam theory.
We already gave you advices concerning the point 2. For what concerns point 3, I really suggest you to subscribe the MAQAM MASTERY PROGRAMM by oud for guitarists. It's really helpful!
Moreover, when you play SAMAI, you will learn many maqamat and their modulations. On the other hand, LONGAS may be very useful for tecnique.
Always practice with metronome, and start very slow.
ENjoy your study!

Go To Top