Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peghead dimensions
theodoropoulos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:10 AM
Peghead dimensions

Peghead dimensions

Forgive me for this question but i try now to collecet THE CORRECT dimensions for TURKISH ouds......
I would be very happy if you could show any blueprints or just tell me the dimensions in 3d..i just look for most the 2 small woods which are glued between the big curly like woods.......
I also look for the neck dimension...where it meats the bowl and where it meats the peghead!
thank you in advance!!
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 03:14 PM

Hi theodoropoulos

The dimensions of nearly all parts of an Oud depends on how the other parts are built, when you not want to build in a series with all paarts equal. When the bowl is built, then you know how wide the beginning of the neck is... and so on... the end of the neck, the saddle, depends on how the Oud will be played and WHo will play the Oud. Important too : The way the courses are going over the fingerboard is forcing a special wideness.. So you have to decide, how wide the courses are at the bridge and at the saddle... This gives the fingerboard its dimensions. Including the string length... because the longer they are, the narrower the saddle will be if not adapted to the other features of the instrument as a whole thing.

When making the bowl, you will never know exactly, how wide the surface is at the neck-joint... only after complete sanding and giving its final shape the measurement could be done. There are no general measurements I think... and I hope, I´m right. Many measurements are coming during making... Try it, and you wiull know what I mean.
You can perhaps plan with a mm more or less, but you will have to take the measurement from the step before for the next part.

The same is for the pegbox... the wideness of it at the glueing area is clear, when the neck-end has its proportions...
And for the end of the pegbox keep in mind, that someone (you ?) will have to string the Oud or change the strings sometimes. So the spacve between the sides has to be big enough to make it easy to handle with the pegs and the string, but again it depends on the thickness of the sides.

The mould will give the main measurements if used. Plan the mould with care and keep the added wood in mind when applying rib for rib. The design of the neck-block gives the main size of the beginning of the neck, and ofcourse for the fingerboard ... if applyed before or after fixing the neck... with or without fingerboard...Many different ways to do it...

This is my own experience and my opinion

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
theodoropoulos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 06:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fritz  
Hi theodoropoulos

The dimensions of nearly all parts of an Oud depends on how the other parts are built, when you not want to build in a series with all paarts equal. When the bowl is built, then you know how wide the beginning of the neck is... and so on... the end of the neck, the saddle, depends on how the Oud will be played and WHo will play the Oud. Important too : The way the courses are going over the fingerboard is forcing a special wideness.. So you have to decide, how wide the courses are at the bridge and at the saddle... This gives the fingerboard its dimensions. Including the string length... because the longer they are, the narrower the saddle will be if not adapted to the other features of the instrument as a whole thing.

When making the bowl, you will never know exactly, how wide the surface is at the neck-joint... only after complete sanding and giving its final shape the measurement could be done. There are no general measurements I think... and I hope, I´m right. Many measurements are coming during making... Try it, and you wiull know what I mean.
You can perhaps plan with a mm more or less, but you will have to take the measurement from the step before for the next part.

The same is for the pegbox... the wideness of it at the glueing area is clear, when the neck-end has its proportions...
And for the end of the pegbox keep in mind, that someone (you ?) will have to string the Oud or change the strings sometimes. So the spacve between the sides has to be big enough to make it easy to handle with the pegs and the string, but again it depends on the thickness of the sides.

The mould will give the main measurements if used. Plan the mould with care and keep the added wood in mind when applying rib for rib. The design of the neck-block gives the main size of the beginning of the neck, and ofcourse for the fingerboard ... if applyed before or after fixing the neck... with or without fingerboard...Many different ways to do it...

This is my own experience and my opinion

Fritz

Ηallo Fritz!!
I know what you mean because i have made some ouds..
you are absolutely right....But this time i try to find from books or anything what is your "target" dimensions,from traditional instruments ...
Everything you say is 100% true,i have made mistakes because i ignired those factors but now i try not to "move and decide"about dimension but to go for a specific dimension.....
i thank you for your time and thank you alot!

Go To Top