Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sandi Ouds and NAMM Convention
nard
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 08:20 AM
Sandi Ouds and NAMM Convention

Dear all,

I have two questions - one about two Sandi ouds, the other about the NAMM Convention in Anaheim.

First Question - Sandi's VMIU-50 and VSU-100

My student oud is a Sandi GK-15 from Cenkaya Muzikevi in Istanbul. It was given to me as a gift 2 years ago. Even though I still have a lot to learn, I think it is time for me to move on. I use this oud with Arabic tuning (CFadgc) and it is a comfortable fit physically (6'0"). I have also been very happy with it and most other oudists I have encountered seem to think it is a great student oud. One motivation I have for moving on is that, as I learn to play the high notes found on the soundboard, the sound is not as clear and there is buzz on some of the strings.

From reviewing Mr. Sandi's website, it seems his "next step" ouds are the VMIU-50 and VSU-100 models visible here: http://www.cankayamuzikevi.com/katalog2.htm. He has posted Youtube videos of these but I think it is hard to judge based on video alone. For example, VMIU-50 (Arabic tuning) at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwrPAQiiK1Y and VSU-100 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peXd6PuVocg.

I am looking at Sandi ouds because I am happy with my student oud, though I have not explored other options and have not held or tried out other ouds. I am open to other suggestions. I am looking for something mid-range in the $1000-$1500 price range. I play Arabic tuning.

Second Question - NAMM Convention

On Mr. Sandi's website, he mentions that they attend the NAMM Convention in Anaheim, CA every year; the next one is January 22, 2015.

Does anyone know if there are other oud vendors at the convention, and, if so, if it is the kind of place where individual sales are made?

I really would like the opportunity to hold and play with an oud this time before buying but I realize that it may be a long-shot unless I leave the U.S. If there are many luthiers who specialize in oud there it may be worth the trip to see what's out there :)

Thank you,

nard
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 08:42 AM

Instruments are sold at the NAMM convention. But it is a noisy, chaotic, overwhelming event. My friends who have attended usually need a day or two to recover from the sensory overload. I think there is nothing wrong with the oud you now have.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 08:55 AM

Also I'm not at all sure that Sandi exhibits at the NAMM show each year. The website might be dated. The photos at NAMM are from 10 years ago. BTW, Cankaya's factory is in Ankara.
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 10:33 AM

Where are you located? There are Luthiers in the US that will gladly let you try an oud before buying it.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 12:28 PM

According to nard's information here, he is located in Oakland, CA

I love Sandi ouds, however if you are playing Arabic tuning, why do you want Sandi Turkish oud?

gkhouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 01:32 PM

nard - I sent you a u2u
hans
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-12-2014 at 01:10 PM

For 1000-1500 dollars you can buy a better oud than a sandi, you can even buy a reduced price turunz, and otherwise a calay or rapakousios, and no doubt many arabic ouds, of which i have no experience
nard
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hans  
For 1000-1500 dollars you can buy a better oud than a sandi, you can even buy a reduced price turunz, and otherwise a calay or rapakousios, and no doubt many arabic ouds, of which i have no experience

Dear hans,

Türünz oud are wonderful however with shipping to the U.S. and a case the price rises to > $1800.

Go To Top