Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting eBay Oud
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 07:03 PM
Interesting eBay Oud

Didn't last long. Somebody must have made an aggressive offer the seller couldn't refuse. Recognize the maker?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-EGYPTIAN-OUD-LUD-GUITAR-/121483123...

journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 07:44 PM

I bid on it and then my bid was cancelled and the listing was taken down. Then suddenly it was back up with a buy-it-now so I bought it. I might have over paid (buy-it-now price was higher than the original listing) but took a chance on it. I haven't heard from the seller yet so hopefully the transaction will be completed without any problems. I would say that it is Syrian; not Egyptian as listed. My guess would be from the 1960s to mid 70s but beyond that I have no idea who might have built it. Looks like it has been in storage; not damaged but very dusty looking. I'll give a report later. -Roy

roypatterson.com
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 08:13 PM

well done Roy :)

if you were in the far west you would be the fastest shooter in town. Pistol Patterson.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2014 at 08:23 PM

I'm a sucker for old ouds Samir. A couple of times I got lucky, like with the Haidar oud that you worked on, and other times I was not so fortunate and paid for junk. We'll see how this one turns out.

roypatterson.com
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 12:27 PM

Well, it took a while to get things straightened out, but I have purchased this oud. http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-EGYPTIAN-OUD-LUD-GUITAR-/121492233... It turns out to have been made by Garabed de Bedrossian and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be smaller than his other ouds that I've seen. It certainly looks that way from the photos, but without a reference to compare it to it is impossible to say. Of course it would have been nice if it had been one of Sumbat's ouds, but Garabed's ouds aren't bad, and while it might not have been a "killer deal" I can say that I didn't over pay which puts my mind at ease. Of course I won't know if it needs a neck reset until it arrives, but other than that possibility, it looks to be in great condition. I used to own one of his ouds and it sounded very good, but was just too big for me and I sold it to a forum member. When I get it and have it set up etc, I'll post again with a sound clip. -Roy

roypatterson.com
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 02:19 PM
the good news and the bad

The good news is that the Garabed Der-Bedrossian (this is how it is written on the label) is an early one, probably from the 60s before he started making them really big. The bad news is that it arrived damaged as per the attached photo. It needs a bit of restoration work but it just might be a great sounding oud. Jonathan, I'll send you photos after the restoration is completed.

roypatterson.com
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 04:10 PM

Arrggh, shipping ouds...

Whenever I buy an oud on eBay, I tell them "cut the strings off and make sure no part of the peg head touches any part of the box also use bubble wrap instead of peanuts." Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Luckily a pretty straightforward repair...

Cheers

journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 05:06 PM

This one was packed OK but the guys managed to push down on the end where the pegbox was and dislodge it. Here is a picture of the label. Any translation would be appreciated, including a date of manufacture. There appears to be a Slavic? language in addition to the Arabic and English. I sent it to Alfaraby but thought it might be of interest to Der-Bedrossian enthusiasts in general.

roypatterson.com
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 05:50 PM

It says :

Oud atelier Qarabet der Bedrosian
Damascus (the address...)
Sales and Repair of all musical instruments and string .... blah blah blah

No date !

Incidentally that's Armenian not Slavic. The Bedrosians aas the name implies were Armenian
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 06:40 PM

Thanks Spyros. That's the first time I've seen Armenian. The rosettes are plastic but are hand cut, and on Jonathan's site there is a Der-Bedrossian from 1962 with the same rosettes. If that can be any kind of a guide perhaps this one is of similar vintage. http://www.varjouds.com/berossian.htm

roypatterson.com

Go To Top