Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Bella OU80A strings (FADgcf) on fixed bridge oud?
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 04:58 PM
La Bella OU80A strings (FADgcf) on fixed bridge oud?

Hello guys,

I own a model 2 Sukar oud with a scale length of 60 cm (fixed bridge). I have tuned it CGDagc but am currently wondering if I can put other strings on it which enable a higher tuning, e. g. FADgcf. I have come across La Bella OU80A strings:

http://www.labella.com/products/ou80a/

My question is: Are these exclusively meant for floating bridge/Iraqi style ouds or is it also possible to use a higher tuning on a fixed bridge oud? If yes, I would like to order them.

P.S. Please have a look at the following video. The guy playing in the beginning is also using FADgcf tuning, although he has a fixed bridge oud, isn't he? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vqo4gI15Ik

Thanks in advance for your help and support!
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 06:04 PM

I've just seen that there are Kürschner strings which you can tune GADgcf. Actually, this would suit my taste even better, although they are more expensive than the La Bellas. What do you guys think? Could I use this set (417104) on my fixed bridge Sukar oud without any problems? And furthermore, what experience have you made with Kürschner strings in general?

http://www.kuerschner-saiten.de/pdfs/KuerschnerPreislKanun.pdf
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-20-2014 at 08:55 PM

Kruschner has a few tensions available so you should be able to find something which suits your oud.

Personally, while the Kurschners are well-made, they are a bit bright-sounding for my taste. Though this may work well with the higher register of the f'f' tuning.

The OU80a should be fine on your 60cm Sukar. The tension is not too high.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 06:47 AM

Brian, I really appreciate your help. Kurschner strings come in three tensions: high, medium, low. Which of them would you recommend for my Sukar oud? I do not want my instrument to take any damage from a too high tension.
As to La Bella OU80a, their tuning is EADgcf. I would really like to tune the last course (bam string) to G. Do you think I could do that with these strings without facing any issues?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 03:03 PM

I think medium tension from Kurschner is good. Sukar ouds are pretty sturdy though and I wouldn't worry even with the higher tension one.

I think the LaBella would be fine at G but if that's really your main tuning maybe switch that course for .032"

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-23-2014 at 05:32 AM

Brian, thanks a lot for your advice! I think I am going to give the La Bellas a try. Let's see how they sound. :-)
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-23-2014 at 07:08 PM

Nice idea. If you wouldn't mind posting a sound sample or video when you have accomplished this, that would be great. I have a Sukar that I'm considering doing the same to, simply to try Iraqi tuning on an oud, and I'd love to hear your experience.
oudy allen
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-24-2014 at 02:05 PM

Yes sure, I can do that. Once I have received the strings I'll put them on my oud and try to record a short sound sample so you can assess how Iraqi tuning sounds on a fixed bridge Sukar oud. ;)
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 01:30 PM

Hi Oudy Allen!
I personally know many arabic musicians that use f tuning on fixed bridge ouds. My Moroccoan teacher for example, use The LABELLA ou80a (the ones you mentioned), on a 62cm fixed bridge. The tension is very high (I can't play his oud!!), but he likes it and he has been playng like this for 15 years now. Moreover, the oud he has been using, is not even a very good one, but a medium range oud made in Morocco. If your oud is 60cm, you will get a softer tension than my teacher's one, and I think that it will be perfect. Let us know!

Go To Top