Printable Version  
Author: Subject: question for Professor Elie
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 07:37 PM
question for Professor Elie

Professor,

Do you have any experience with Thomastik? Do you, by chance have any tension data on them?

Many thanks in advance:bowdown:

Sam
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 09:20 PM

I have looked and looked but I couldn't find any type of data to use in calculating the tension so I gave up without contacting them.

You could special order the tensions you want from them here is the link http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/strings/frames/start03/body_3.htm

Just strings offers a few sets here http://www.juststrings.com/thomastikinfeldoud.html

If one has a set and can post the set number and then measure and post the length (accurate to within 1 millimeter) of each string along with the weight (accurate to within .1 grams), I could compute and post the tensions for any given scale length.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-6-2005 at 10:09 PM

Many thanks ya Ustaz! I have a set (minus the 5th course F), I can do that.

However, I have to measure the length of the string out of the envelope or the vibrating string length on my oud?? also have a scale.

I'll do this in the next few days. Many thanks Ustaz Elie!
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-7-2005 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by samzayed
However, I have to measure the length of the string out of the envelope or the vibrating string length on my oud?? also have a scale.

Many thanks Ustaz Elie!

You are welcome Sam.

Regarding which length to measure. We need to measure the full length of the string "out of the envelope" so it is the length of what you weigh. Remember to weigh, you need to have an accurate scale or balance. I use lab grade equipment for the weight or "mass." Make sure you wrap the string before weighing so that the whole mass of the string is on the balance pan and no part of it is touching other object, since that would give an innacurate measurement. To measure length, a ruler is fine (Note: you do not need the original length of the string if the string has been trimmed, just as long as you measure the length when weighed.)

The "scale length" is the vibrating length on the oud and it is different from the full length mentioned earlier, but we still need it as well to compute tension.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-7-2005 at 10:10 AM

So you use weight of entire length and the length of the entire string to get density ratio, and use that in your calculation. It wasn't clear to my why it mattered how long the string was out of the envelope.

The best scale I have is a digital kitchen scale, I doubt it will be good enough
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-7-2005 at 04:01 PM

Correct Sam. The ratio is called "linear density." What is the smallest non-zero positive reading your scale will record?

Go To Top