Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making tuning pegs @ Lord of the Strings
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-21-2014 at 07:58 PM
Making tuning pegs @ Lord of the Strings

Hi everyone. I want to share how I make my tuning pegs (which is something I rarely do)

I use a mini Grizzly wood lathe with a Vega duplicator. The duplicator works similar to a key cutter. It runs off a template, and creates a close perfect copy. Making tuning pegs is not what they advertise, however its commonly used for pen blanks, chess pieces and table spindles/legs (for the large lathe duplicator) just to name a few. A small metal lathe also does a good job of making pegs.

Here I will walk you through the steps of making pegs. I used 30 year old Swiss Pear wood to make these pegs.

Part of the design I wanted to copy was from a Nahat oud, however I didn't like the flatness of the head. I copied the general shape of it, but the head or (handle of the peg) is what I altered to make more comfortable while tuning.

The oud these are for is a custom make that I will share once its completed.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Nahat pegs that I used to copy the outside shape of the head.

Here is the well seasoned Swiss Pear board

After everything is marked the bandsaw has its way with it..

X marks the spot where the lathe centers will be driven

Using an awl and a mallet, I puncture the hole for the live center

The master template pattern is placed in the template holder

The cutter removes material from the blank, and begins to look like a peg

Once I have finished cutting as much as I can from the master template, I move the blank to another lathe for finer shaping/sanding/filing for more refinement

I cut off the ends on my smaller bandsaw

Here is where I begin to deviate from the original Nahat pattern. I use the radiused part of my sander to shape the handle of the peg

More to go..

Here is the end result. After sanding the radius into the handle, the edges are rounded using small scrapers, sandpaper and then a steel burnisher. The handle and collar are treated with beeswax finish, buffed then the pegs are reamed to the desired taper.

A beautiful shape, more comfortable on the hand while tuning.

The full set

hussamd
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 02:13 PM

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. All your instruments are gorgeous!
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 04:11 PM

Hi John

Very good job indeed... the original reminds me to an Ouud played by Hamza El Din (the worlds great lost... as it was with Paco de LucĂ­a)

Only the colours were different... white (bone ?) pegs with black inlay.

Do you want to make the inlay ?

I have a small lathe for metal... abusing this for peg-shaping and so on... The conus of the pegs I make only with this lathe... absolutely precise fitting in the conus of pegbox, made with a reamer... the lathe tune in exactly the same cone... It works great.

Perhaps I will make my own pegs, if I get enough of a useable wood. All in the future ofcourse...

Best wishes !

Fritz

Music is the food for the soul
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 11-22-2014 at 09:14 PM

Thanks Fritz,

I'm not making the inlay on the pegs for a number of reasons, the customer doesn't want that, and the pegs are not flat like the original Nahat. The oud however has Nahat inlay on the soundboard.

About the metal lathe, you can set it up like Robert Lundburg does to duplicate pegs.

The reason I made these pegs is because you can't find that shape anywhere. Otherwise most pegs are good enough.

Go To Top