Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Going to Turkey: Need Some Help
verhoevc
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 09:28 AM
Going to Turkey: Need Some Help

Some of ya'll may remember my trip to the Salmeen Oud company last year (I can't seem to find the thread anymore though... so here's a link to the pics again if you're interested: http://s95.photobucket.com/user/verhoevc/library/Salmeen )

This year I'll be going to Turkey and once again have contacted some builders to meet and spend some time with! I still have not built an Oud (only guitars so far) or even bought plans (maybe in Turkey!), but owuld like to bring the folks I visit a small gift. I was thinking some US hardwoods that they don't have good access to would be nice to bring along. However, without plans it's difficult for me to say "ok, I'll bring them some cool rib material!"

I was hoping someone could give me some measurements (length/width/thickness) as well as number needed for a set of ribs that I could bring with me. I know all Ouds are different, etc. But it would be really helpful is someone could give me enough information so that I show up with something usable for these guys.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 04:18 PM

You could also consider a sinker redwood (sequoia) top. Definitely American but might be looked at a bit askance...

Cheers

verhoevc
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 05:48 AM

So I did a bunch of research on Oud geometry... and did a 3D rendering of a potential 18.5cm=D Oud... and here's what I got:
Stave lengths: about 25.25"
Circumfrance around widest/deepest bowl section: about 21.85"
If there are 13 staves that makes each: about 1.65" wide

So could someone please let me know if this makes sense: If I show up with 13+ pieces all 26x1.75x1/8" I should be good?
Thanks,
Chris
verhoevc
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 05:10 AM

Bump: Can no one simply verify that these pieces will yield a usable set for my host?
Chris
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 11:31 AM

Hey Chris, I would say the length should be 28" long. 26" I think is short, at least for Arabic ouds. Better be on the safe side. Also make sure you take enough pieces for a complete back, 13 won't be enough I think. Good luck and enjoy your trip ;)
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-9-2014 at 11:41 AM

The typical Turkish oud has 21 ribs. I would stick to 2 inch wide by 28" or 30" long if you can do it. They will be more than pleased with this.

as a suggestion, some nice figured maple, cherry and/or dark walnut would be best.

and as Freya says a nice Sinker top !! I want to try making a oud with one soon :)

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
verhoevc
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 05:43 AM

Thanks guys! That really helps.
Right now I'm thinking of bringing Persimmon. It's the only true ebony to grow in the Americas and is thus a fairly unique piece for someone in Turkey. Maybe I'll bring alternating Persimmon and curly maple? We'll see!
Chris

Go To Top