Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Taqsim method book?
nard
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 02:52 PM
Taqsim method book?

Hi all,

I am looking for books or drills that are designed to help develop skills for taqsim-- ie, breaking it down into smaller concepts or patterns, like common pathways between maqams, melodies, rhythms, and the like.

Please do not suggest listening to other taqasim, I know this is a very important part of the process - but I am specifically looking for books and teaching methods designed to cultivate this skill through practice.

Thank you!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 03:34 PM

There are no such books, really. The most in-depth stuff I've seen is Sami Abu Shumays' site: http://maqamlessons.com

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 01:16 AM
Fantastic resource

Thanks Brian. That site is a fantastic resource!
nard
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 09:01 AM

Thanks, Brian, for the references!

I should add that if anyone is aware of Arabic-language books, that is fine too.
Gocauo
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
There are no such books, really. The most in-depth stuff I've seen is Sami Abu Shumays' site: http://maqamlessons.com

*Most* excellent....
SV_T_oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 11:14 AM

Brian, I'm not here to question your expertise and wide knowledge in the area of the Mid-East music but on your recommendation I was lucky to find a copy of Murat Aydemir's Makam guide. I looked everywhere and everywhere it was out of stock but then by pure luck I got it from a private seller.

http://www.amazon.com/Turkish-Music-Makam-Guide-CDs/dp/9944396842

It contains very useful info on taqsim development in many makams and even more than that. I would say this book is invaluable for a developing musician who wants to get into the idiom and who has not much more to learn from.

It's of course Turkish-oriented but should be useful for Arabic music students as well.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 04:27 PM

While it has some maqam info and analysis, it doesn't really contain the kind of things that it seemed like nard was asking for—patterns, melodies, etc. It does give some info about the pathways and intonation etc. It is more about the maqam and not specifically about taqasim. It's a good book for that though.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

SV_T_oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 07:47 AM

What I found in the book is it gives sample taqsims and analizes them. Not real player taqsims but rather taqsim seyirs with explanation why certain notes are emphasizes.
I think this is more important than if the book contained analysis of real taqsims.
Thank you very much for this recommendation.

While it has some maqam info and analysis, it doesn't really contain the kind of things that it seemed like nard was asking for—patterns, melodies, etc. It does give some info about the pathways and intonation etc. It is more about the maqam and not specifically about taqasim. It's a good book for that though.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 11:52 AM

The question is an interesting one. I have some thougths to add.

My suggestion for a maqam book for Arabic-style players: http://www.amazon.com/Maqam-Book-Doorway-Scales-Modes/dp/965505053X...

You might also glean some good ideas and technique from Naseer Shama's and Jamil Bashir's oud exercise/method books, both of which are available as free PDFs. (If memory serves, each was posted to the Forums at one time or another.)

My third thought is the importance of mastering ornamentation techniques (hammer-on, pull-off, glissando, tremolo, etc.) for making both your taqasim and songs sound more "oudy." I am forever reminding my student about this. One of my favorite exercises to force a student to use more ornamentation is to assign them to do a taqsim using only the first 4 or 5 notes of the maqam.

Good luck,
"Udi" John
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SV_T_oud  

It contains very useful info on taqsim development in many makams and even more than that. I would say this book is invaluable for a developing musician who wants to get into the idiom and who has not much more to learn from.

I don't disagree with this, but compare your description to what the OP asked for:

Quote:
I am looking for books or drills that are designed to help develop skills for taqsim-- ie, breaking it down into smaller concepts or patterns, like common pathways between maqams, melodies, rhythms, and the like.

Does it have "patterns", "melodies" and "rhythms" specifically for developing skills for taqasim? I would say no. It has accompanying CDs and some analysis. It does have some "concepts" and some information about "pathways", so it partially fits the bill.

Both this book and the David Muallem book John suggested are great resources about maqam. Based on my interpretation of the OP's question (which I may have misinterpreted), they don't really fit the criteria he was asking for and that no book currently available (that I know of) actually has exercises or drills like he is asking for.

cheers,
Brian

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

SV_T_oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 09:17 AM

...Does it have "patterns", "melodies" and "rhythms" specifically for developing skills for taqasim? I would say no...

Brian, I would say the book has "patterns" in the form of suggested melodic flow for taqsims in every makam it considers. Sample taqsims are analyzed.
There are "melodies" in the form of short but well regarded repertoire pieces. Ok, they are not taqsims that are improvised on the fly but it doesn't make them less valuable for learning melodic material.

I don't see any rhythm patterns considered but this maybe the easiest part because partly it's shown in the repertoire pieces and it can be more easier picked up from the player taqsims compared to melodic rules (for less gifted ear players).

What I want to say that in my opnion this is the book most closely approaching the "I want everything in one pack" which is impossible.

I don't think it's a valid request to ask for a book that teaches taqsim and considers every aspect of it in great detail. I understand the Murat Aydemir's book comes as close to this task as possible. Beyond that there are so many variations peculiar to each individual musician that it would be impossible to generalize it in one book.
It would be asking for too much.

So the book has melodic flow roadmaps, what more to ask for?

I know you are coming from Jazz guitar and you of course know there are books like "Improvization style of Wes Montgomery". I guess it would be similar to this for taqsim development like "Taqsim style of Murat Aydemir".

There are basic books on jazz impro the best of which would suggest: place strong tones (chord tones) on the strong beats within a static harmony, make guide tone resolutions on harmony change. Use approach tones to strong tones. The rest is bells and whistles. The sky is the limit.

I know some rhythm pattersns are shown here:
http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/usuller.html

The site mentions YOU on the title page :)

Finally, what I'm getting at: your initial answer was "no" and that would make the asker believe there is nothing similar or close to what he asks.
I understand this is because you maybe a perfectionist which is not bad but your high standards may not fit every less gifted musician.
Having said that I want to add that so far the most useful information (for my needs) I picked up on this forum was coming from you.

So, I don't argue with you but just view the request from a less perfectionist's point of view.
Brian... thanks again for this wonderful book. If I were as gifted as you are I wouldn't probably need it.

Go To Top