Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Samai
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-4-2014 at 01:05 PM
New Samai

Dear fellow oudists
I would like to share with you my first recorded piece " the samai in yakah: rast el sol"
guess who is the composer, and which oud?

https://soundcloud.com/user515968459/sama3i-mixing-5-mp3-2
markus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2014 at 02:59 AM

great work Arabesque
I could ansewr the first question, as i was a witness of the agony of the composer as he was trying to convey his ideas but was let down by his limited playing skills
So this is Michael Moussa's Samai which he called the Rebirth of a Nation dedicating it to Egypt
I can see you have done a miracle managing to present this very difficult samai in a palatable romantic way
I need to hear it again and again to grasp its hidden beauty and subtle expressions
fadel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 07:45 AM

Hi
Nice playing

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
rex2009
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud Zone

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 09:10 AM

Hi Arabesque
That is absolutely fantastic. I guess you have put this together. The only thing I could say is you are brilliant. As Marcus said one needs to hear it again and again to appreciate its beauty. You have done a great job man. Keep it going :applause:
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 12:49 PM

thanks Markus, Fadel and Rex2009
for your kind encouraging words, I am currently exploring Michael's repertoire of music composition both vocal and instrumental- which is a huge undertaking including notation, verifying, playing, and recording which I find worthy and enjoyable - but I find the most difficult bit is to get him from the nirvana state of creativity to the real state of productivity.
I am not after a comment on the melody or the music itself as it has been acknowledged by many scholars as superb- and I have got no role in this. I am really seeking constructive critique on the mixage, recording, effects etc
thanks
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 03:32 PM

It's funny, I didn't know of any Sama'i in Yekah, I have the first khana, and a taslim and never finished it. I haven't the skills to be a composer.. or I'm lazy... or both.

Anyway, nice oud playing in this. Who is playing the other instruments, or is that keys?

Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-8-2014 at 04:36 PM

Thanks bulerias for being patient enough to have the whole 1st khana and taslim, michael called the first khana, the sufi, the second the egyptian, the 3rd the coptic where he used a lot of the microtones of the coptic scales sometimes in a chromatic way( the coptic sekah)
the other instuments played were nay and kawala which I played along with the oud.strings and kanoun were sampled
thanks
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-13-2014 at 06:13 PM

I'm sorry, I meant that I started composing a sama'i in Yekah, but never finished it. I have only the first khana and the taslim.. but I'm stuck with it, and with all the projects I have going on, its fallen on the backburner.. for 2 years now!

THE GUY FROM THE PAST
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 03:45 PM

آمان أرابيسك أمان جانم أبومينا كمان ... كمان
Aman arabesque aman, ganim Abu mina, the most exciting bit about this astonishing samai is that it was composed by a mere amateur who does not play the oud even well, somebody whom we know well for years but never expect that he will ever come up with such a hit
Arabesque I am just tipping my hat to you, you have done a great job:professional recording and balanced mixing of tracks and wonderful playing. Ilike very much your mild use of effects and the clarity of accent
waiting for more works from you both
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 12:47 PM

thanks Guy for your encouraging words, I am sure Abu Mina who was once called Mikhail effendi Abu Mina El metaibati will be very impressed with aman and ganim which were very popular words for tatyeeb in early doors and muwashahat, currently I am working on his 2nd samai which he called the romantic!!
markus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 02:21 AM

Dear Arabesque
now having listened to the Samai several times and after passing the usual complemint ( I think the Guy has already done enough of that) I will be in the position of of doing fair unbiased and informed critique:
*the recording quality is superb
* mixing is balanced, power and reverb are quite pleasant, not overpowering
but
* the percusion and rhythm were very repititve and monotonous - you could have done much better by using variations of the digital stored 10/8 or even best with a solo riq
* you have not used enough solo instrumentation which could have made it very lively especially on using the dialogue between instruments as happens with the tahmiha
* your excellent live playing on oud and nay was far too much over powered by the damn digital strings
(forgive my language)
otherwise I am really impressed
GrecoEgyptian
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-18-2014 at 09:53 AM

Actually, all things considered, the sampled strings are not bad . . . I am curious what you used for them.

I tend to agree with the assessment of the percussion . . . some diversity and dynamics would help it breathe a bit.

Overall, it sounds great IMO ... I would like to know more about your production (software and approach).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Arabesque999
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 08:35 AM

Hello Brian thanks
I usually use cubase and for the strings and brass I use Holywood samples- for oriental instruments i.e, kanoun, oriental violion, centour, mismar... I find the oriental keyboard Rowland the best which I use also for the arabic rhythms
Merry Christmas and happy new year to all
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 03:33 AM

Well done Arabesque
I have scalded Markus for being so harsh and he is sending is apology especially that he has become obssessed with the sama3i playing it all the time- which I do not blame him for as this sama3i is too colourful, thoughtful and emotional to be described as a simple sama3i but Mohammed Anter commented is rather a fantazy in the format of sam3i.
May I place 2 requests:
*** A solo oud or oud/nay version
*** a score notation if any
Again congratulations and seasons greetings
both you and michael should be promoted from effendi rank( e.g.tatheos) to bey rank( e.g. gemeel)

Go To Top