Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Keyvan Chemirani French/Iranian Percussionist
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-13-2014 at 12:46 PM
Keyvan Chemirani French/Iranian Percussionist

Not to everyone's taste I imagine but a recent remarkable performance of the oratorio 'Il Diluvio Universale' by 17th C Sicilian composer Michelangelo Falvetti - performed by 'Capella Mediterranea' and 'Choer de Chambre de Namur' under the direction of conductor Leonardo Garcia Alarcon - includes Iranian percussionist Keyvan Chemirani among the performers so I thought that some forum members might find it of interest and worth watching.

Chemirani plays drums throughout the performance however he is highlighted in several places including at about 6:10, 11:30 to about 13:30, at 46:04 at 1:00:00 and 1:09:40. With frame drum, zarb and a ceramic bottle drum (?) he adds Middle Eastern sparkle and appropriate dramatism to the event.

A background to the work starts after the last finale and credits around 1:09:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOE2A-A6yfs
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 12:38 PM

Apparently the correct term for the 'ceramic bottle drum' is an UDU - not strictly a drum but an aerophone resonator made from earthenware and of Nigerian origin.
rootsguitar
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 04:02 PM

surreal spectacle! not what I expected at all...without getting into details I am in an excellent position to keep watching, I got to the part w the scythe & death & the cello & was sold. Then a viol de gamba & a giant's lute. wow

pretty cool post well done...k I'm back to enjoying the production, subtitles n all

:cool:
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-15-2014 at 04:26 PM

I am also still replaying through the video - bit by bit - to gain a full appreciation of this spectacular and enjoyable performance. Hard to take it all in with only one sitting.

The sub titles are, of course, a big help in understanding what is going on musically and theatrically.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-25-2014 at 05:29 AM

Here is another dramatic performance of the work by the same group at the Festival Saint-Denis in June this year. Some changes to the singer/musician 'line up' but Keyvan Chemirani is given particular prominence among the musicians.
Nice HD audio where the plucked instruments may be clearly heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcbRwXJbR4
Mehran
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-25-2014 at 07:13 PM

Oddly enough I was just listening to him yesterday for the first time in years. He is such a dynamic zarb player. Fits in lovely with this fantastic ensemble.

Go To Top