Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1905 Nahhat Oud - Fixed!
3a2roub
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 02:06 PM
1905 Nahhat Oud - Fixed!

Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to apologize for having completely forgotten about this same thread I started a couple of years back found here. I was going to reply with the promised pictures but couldnt find the upload attachment button there so I opened a new topic. (admin feel free to merge and/or delete what you see fit)

I would've loved to include sound files, but im not much of a player at all. at least not yet.

This oud was my grandfather's who purchased it in Syria back in the 60s

The translation of the label is: The work of Nahhat Brothers - S 1880 - in Damascus Sham - 1905 - number 1285

[file]33666[/file] [file]33668[/file] [file]33670[/file] [file]33672[/file] [file]33674[/file] [file]33676[/file] [file]33678[/file] [file]33680[/file] [file]33682[/file] [file]33684[/file]
3a2roub
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 02:07 PM

it does sound beautiful however there is a little damage as shown in these pictures which causes a tiny bit of rattling. I would love advice on the best way to fix it.

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 02:38 PM

Hi 3a2roub,

It's pretty critical that you take the tension off the strings ASAP, then have it repaired by someone who knows ouds. This is a quality oud worth a good penny, so well worth the repair.

Where do you live? I make and repair instruments in upstate, NY

3a2roub
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
Hi 3a2roub,

It's pretty critical that you take the tension off the strings ASAP, then have it repaired by someone who knows ouds. This is a quality oud worth a good penny, so well worth the repair.

Where do you live? I make and repair instruments in upstate, NY

i didnt realize this was critical! i will certainly do that now. unfortunately im not a US resident, i live in lebanon (mid east) and i dont know if there are any oud makers except for maybe fadi matta..
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2014 at 06:05 PM

Ah, okay, so if you are in Lebanon, there's Fadi Matta in Zouk, then theres Albert Mansour in Beirut, and Nazih Ghadban in Ras Baalbak. If you are in Beirut, Albert is your best bet perhaps.

3a2roub
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 12:16 PM

I spoke with Albert Mansour and im gonna drop by thursday for the fixer upper :bounce:
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 12:52 PM

I just want to say, that is a sweet looking oud, thankfully it will be fixed up.

under no circumstances should you accept that the face be changed by the way, though I am sure Albert will know the importance of keeping the old face as intact as possible.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
3a2roub
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
I just want to say, that is a sweet looking oud, thankfully it will be fixed up.

under no circumstances should you accept that the face be changed by the way, though I am sure Albert will know the importance of keeping the old face as intact as possible.

Thanks a bunch! i'm pretty sure he wouldn't change the face for the oud's sake. When asked if he fixes ouds he said "no but if you say it's a nahhat i can't not fix it!"
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-16-2014 at 07:00 PM

Right on Samir, the face does not need to be changed! Save it, this isn't a big deal.

FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 03:15 PM

Man, what a beauty! Cherish that instrument.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-17-2014 at 07:40 PM

Love it long time!

3a2roub
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-27-2015 at 03:21 PM
fixed!

well better late than never, am i right? sorry everyone i've been busy practicing :airguitar:

Albert Mansour, who is the nicest man ever, fixed it. he had to use the thin crescent shaped wooden piece where the damage was because around that area, the face was too thin to be glued in such a way that playing the oud would not further damage it. I hope no hardcore nahhat fans would be offended by it, but i personally love it. the face other than that wasnt touched except for a fancy cleaning, same for the fingerboard.

Mr Mansour also made new keys (the old ones werent the authentic ones apparently, and of somewhat poor quality), and obviously a new top nut to hold the additional base string. I believe the new set of strings is a beautiful set of kurschners.

Go To Top