Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Armenian oud.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2005 at 07:42 AM
Armenian oud.

I am trying to put together a list for the web of the significant Armenian oud makers of the past century, and I am looking for any input that I can get. So far, this is where I am at:
http://varjouds.com/armenian_oud.htm
If that link doesn't work, just go to http://www.varjouds.com and go to the second page.
My knowledge in this area is admittedly very limited. The information was largely a list that I had been keeping, and decided to put on the web in the hope that I could add to it. So, if anybody can give me some more info, or pictures of ouds, I would be grateful. If you send me any pictures, I could either list your name or not, depending on which you would prefer. Thanks a lot.
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 1-9-2005 at 01:36 PM

I'll look for a few answers to the question marks in the next couple weeks - I know just the guy for dates, places of birth, and odd sundry trivia...
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-10-2005 at 02:24 PM

Thanks, Eliot, I would be very grateful. So much of this material seems undocumented, that every little bit really helps. It seems that, sadly, as the older generations have left us, much of their knowledge of the older luthiers has left us without being recorded. A while back I posted a picture of an awesome old oud. It had been largely destroyed, but it was by a maker that seems to have left this world almost without a trace (Artin Atikian). It just seems incredibly sad that we know so little of our older oud makers. So, I am looking for anything--pictures (of the ouds, or of their makers), biographical info, whatever. Thanks again.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 01:51 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Just wanted to let you know, I'm sort of in the process of negotiating for a 1928 Hagap Ohanyon ud. Either way, I will soon have pictures for you.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2005 at 06:09 PM

Thanks a lot, Mav. I really appreciate it. I am continuing to update the web page, although it has a long, long way to go.
Here it is so far:
http://varjouds.com/armenian_oud.htm
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2005 at 05:25 AM
Respect!!

Jonathan, you got my respect and admiration for such work. I hope that there where similar things done to arabic oud makers too. This is a very neglected area indeed.

Regards
/Walid
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2005 at 08:11 AM

Thanks so much, but, really, the page is a completely selfish one. It is a strong area of interest, and by posting it on the web, I am learning a lot more about these luthiers, and thier instruments. But, still, your words are appreciated.
I really love looking at pictures of old ouds, and learning about them, and I, too, hope that somebody takes up the torch for other ouds, as well. The number of Arabic and Turkish oud makers is so much greater, and such a great job could be done if somebody set up pages offering a quick review of the important historic Arabic and Turkish luthiers. Thanks again. Any help is appreciated.
While I am on this topic, perhaps somebody can help me with a couole of questions.
Onnik Karibyan (Onnik uner, Kucukuner) supposedly died in 1973, yet some ouds bear his label from 1974 and 1975. Are these outright frauds or, as I suspect, ouds made by his students using leftover material? From what I have been told, the quality is not there. Also, if anybody can add any biographical info on the material at the website, or pictures of ouds by Armenian makers, that would be fantastic. Finally, I am always desperately seeking any ouds or lutes made by Sam (Sarkis) Varjabedian, a Detroit-based oud maker from the 1920s until 1963, who was my grandfather. Anything, in any condition.
Thanks again, Walid.

Go To Top