Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mold Measurements for my first Oud -project
nedal
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-25-2014 at 01:38 PM
Mold Measurements for my first Oud -project

Hey Guy,I hopp you are all having a nice Holiday and a merry Christmas.
After reading a lot of Posts in this Blog i'm encouraged to start building my first Oud. a friend wanted to lend me her Mr. Hankeys book but im Seeing her first in 2 weeks. but i wanted ti start building the Mold and would be grateful if somebody would give me the Measurements for it.

Thanks for your Help and i wish you a pleasant Time with your beloved ones.

nedal
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-26-2014 at 05:16 AM

Hey Guys,
I've not think about that yesterday but it would be better if i asked Mr. Hankey for his Approval before asking to publish apart of his Book on the Web.
I' sold this problem in taking the Measurements from My Kamil Muwis oud. it has a 615 mm Scale.

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 12-26-2014 at 09:46 AM

Hi nedal,

To answer your question, these two methods won't mix, either you have to follow Mr. Hankey's book, or you take measurements and/or design your own pattern and employ a mould or non mould method. The pattern proposed in Hankey's book is certainly going to be different from the Mowais oud, or your plan to make a mould, because in his book he shares the non-mould method.

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 12-28-2014 at 10:27 AM

Using a mold is ok, just be sure to make the mold smaller than the outer measurements of the oud you want to build, since the ribs will fit over the mold - allow at least 2mm for the rib thickness. I have used both methods and still prefer the open jig as it allows more access to fitting the ribs together. using the open jig requires more precise bending to fit the ribs together, but allows easier access, especially at the final top rib assembly. if you use a mold, do not use to mold to hood the ribs down, rather tape the edges together, using the mold as a guide. Nailing or clamping the ribs against the mold to glue the edges together creates residual stress in the bowel, making it more likely to crack open when bumped.

the book is based on a 1910 Hanna Nahhat design.

Go To Top