Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-25-2014 at 01:54 PM
Custom Ghadban Rose Wood --- SOLD

Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 12-29-2014 at 12:47 PM

Excuse me Sir, but we should pay attention please:
No Nahat had ever used such a bridge. All Nahats made almost the same famous bridge, but never (or at least, I haven't seen any) this trapezoid shape.
The purfling around the SB & around the rosettes are not of the same woods, design and quality.
The inner circle of the big rosette is of a very low quality Arabic calligraphy saying: Ikhwan Nahat, while it's supposedly GHN's.
The label is not the one GHN used in 1955.
The fact that Mr. Ghadban brokered it back then can not make the oud what it is not.
Nevertheless, it looks nice all over.
Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 12-30-2014 at 04:09 AM

Carlos dear,

"If it wasn't a restoration I would be selling for twice the price , right ? "
Right, you've tried but you couldn't !
Yes indeed. It's me who wrote to you. I told you I'd consider to take it as is, but when you indicated your location and said: "I would like to stay around $2500", I replied : "I'm capable of getting such an oud from the neighboring countries, in an excellent working condition for that much, so I'd skip this one and leave it for someone in the west coast of USA. He deserves it more than I do, while I'd look around here for a lost beauty".
For these issues I've pointed out earlier, and the fact that you have asked that much, I let it go.

It's not a Ghadban's issue, so I prefer not to respond to anything related. I've had enough in the past. Anything I'd say would probably provoke him, so I won't.

It has been frequently said that there are many replicas around, so beware. I can't judge if this is one, but questions should be asked relating to well-known characteristics of a Nahhat's oud. That's all. I once made an impossible label using photoshop, in a couple of minutes, so label is not a detail which you may count on. This GHN label does not match his labels from the mid fifties.

Moreover, A Nahat's bowl with a replaced SB, is no longer a Nahat's. Period. Respectful masters uses to indicate that the SB has been replaced by so-and-so. Once it's not indicated, an eyebrow ought to be raised. On the other hand, It might turn to be the best sounding oud, but still this does not change the fact it's not an original nor genuine oud of the bowl maker.

There are great luthiers nowadays who are capable of making great soundboards (Najib Shaheen, John Vergara, Richard Hankey, Kamil Mowais .. and more). I'd advise the buyer to contact one of them to ensure a reasonable sound result.

Good luck to you all
Happy New Year

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com

Go To Top