Printable Version  
Author: Subject: arabic percussion sample drum machines etc
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-26-2014 at 03:38 PM
arabic percussion sample drum machines etc

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using arabic percussion samples or drum machines?

I'm looking for samples to use in recording software. Ideally I'm looking for drum machine programs that have built in middle eastern percussion or samples you can buy and download and use in pro tools or garageband etc.

Thanks!

Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 12-27-2014 at 07:13 AM

Hi Navid,
I am using an approximately 10 to 15 years old Yamaha PSR A1000 keyboard which has a big selection of all kind of arabic, turkish, persian etc. drum patterns in its rhythm section. I don't know if there is something similar to download nowadays... ? Would be interesting to know, indeed.
Alexander
slackandsteel
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-30-2014 at 11:13 AM

I've used some samples and patterns from Big Fish Audio's "Hadeeth" loop pack.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-30-2014 at 02:14 PM

There are good ME percussion samples in collections like East West RA and Best Service Ethno World. Some specialized sets like this as well:

http://www.bestservice.de/en/world_percussion_2_0_middle_east.html

You can find MIDI versions of rhythms, and there are loops. But the one set I know of that's got great Middle Eastern samples, loops and modulators, so you can tailor the sounds and how they react to the controllers is "Darbuka". There are some valuable pre-made patterns and you can combine them with your own triggering. By far the best I've run into. It was sold by Wizoo. They released a Latin and a Middle Eastern, the former is called Latigo, the latter Darbuka.

Both are IMHO very impressive and very useful. There's a 32 bit VST version floating around, I don't know if they released a 64 bit version, don't know if AU versions exist. I am disappointed to see now that Wizoo was acquired by Avid/Digidesign, the Wizoo VSTs have vanished from sale, with the staff being put to work on Digidesign-centric stuff. You'll have to do a bit of hunting to find an old version I think, it's an oldie but goodie. There's the 64 bit AU vs. 32 bit VST issues, but if you surmount all that you'll love it.

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-30-2014 at 10:17 PM

There is an AU version but since Avid dropped support it doesn't seem to work on any newer software or OS. Even in VST software it doesn't work. I am curious about your setup. When I want to use Darbuka I have to boot up my old Mac G4 . . .

Possibly since Windows has had fewer major changes, it still works in that environment?

It is too bad. The sounds were not great IMO, but were generally good and I don't know of anything else that has a similar flexibility.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top