Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maqam study material for beginner
SJD
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 10:26 AM
Maqam study material for beginner

So, now I've got my new Michael Moussa oud, I want to get studying. My interest is Arabic rather than Turkish. I work as a jazz guitarist and teacher and my (western) music theory and ears are good.
I realise I have to learn a whole new language and am keen to get started.
I've come across a package called Maqam Mastery on oudforguitarists website. This looks to be exactly what I need, ear training audio included. Sounds perfect study material for me.
Has anyone had experience with this particular study course or can anyone recommend other / complimentary suitable
study material.
Thanks for your help.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 11:21 AM

Use the *Search* function on this site for opinions and discussions on this subject. My recommendation is David Muallam's "The Maqam Book". It takes the unique approach of first explaining european music and the music described by western music theory from a maqam perspective. That way the reader learns the maqam way of thinking *before* applying that way of thinking to a less familiar music, that is, to maqam music itself.

The best thing you can do is to study the taqsim-s of good reliable players and to learn several Samai-s in each maqam you are studying. For the former youtube is good. You can't go wrong with Riad Sunbatti's taqsim playing, for instance. Also check out Omar Naqiishbandi here : http://www.arabicouds.com/rare.php

An amazing resource is the oud eclipse website. It contains an extensive collection of video and audio clips:

http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/artists.html

For compositions Brian Prunka's "Arab Classical Instrumental Music" is very good, and printed large and clear as well.

You can learn a lot about oud and maqam by using the Search function on this website.

Did I mention the Search function?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 01:35 PM

Maybe Greg can merge the duplicate threads?

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
SJD
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 09:16 AM

Thank you so much Jody and Brian for your advice and recommendations, very much appreciated,
certainly a lot of info out there to consider.

Go To Top