Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is Hijaz maqam named for the region?
Chris_Stephens
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-3-2015 at 07:20 PM
Is Hijaz maqam named for the region?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hejaz

Just curious...
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 02:26 PM

Yes it is, though has been also known in old Persia, Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Egypt and South Africa.
The name Hijaz is the name of a note (Gb, F#) the name of a tetrachord and the name of the maqam itself. It also constitutes other Maqams' name, like Hijaz Kar, Hijaz KarKurd, Hijaz Bussalik, Hijaz Turki, Hijaz Diwan, Hijaz Shaytani, Hijaz Ushairan, Hijaz Ockbury, Hijaz Ghareeb, Hijaz Mathnawy, Hijaz Mokhalif, Hijaz Madmy, Hijaz Hamyoun, Hijaz Ateeq, Hijazain and maybe more, which are not all Hijaz based scales.
Hijaz is one of the most famous modes in the Oriental music, if not the most wide spread maqam, basically because it's the Azan's most used maqam, repeated five times a day in every single spot in the Islamic World, and recently even in some regions outside Islam-land.
Hijaz is also the maqam of many well known and wide spread folklore songs in Greater Syria, Iraq & Egypt, sung in every occasion. It's frequently used in reciting Qura'an as well, so all people of all ages hear Hijaz, in one way or another, during the day and part of the night.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Chris_Stephens
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 04:06 PM

Thanks for the reply! I have heard this scale in Greek music too. There is an Indian raga (my main area of interest) called Basant Mukhari which uses the same notes as Hijaz and i've seen some players call it Hijaz Bhairav so apparently it reaches all the way to the subcontinent. You're right that is a very common (if not the most common) set of notes present in Eastern music, which is why i was curious as to why it would be named for a single region.

Go To Top