Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aer amps
danieletarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 01:54 PM
Aer amps

Hello dear members!
I am taking into consideration the idea of buyng an AER combo to amplify the oud. I wonder if any of you have ever tried one or own one.
Here are my questions: 1) Do they work good with condenser microphones? (I would use a dpa micro condenser sticked in the soundhole, or a normal external condenser). 2) What's the best model for oud?
Thank you very much! All the best :)
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 02:11 PM

I haven't used them but they are highly regarded. I just checked the specs and they all seem to have phantom power so a condenser mic will work. You just have to make sure the amp has an XLR in with phantom power.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 2-6-2015 at 11:02 PM

I've owned one (Compact 60) for about 3 years and prior to that had the opportunity to play through one for about 6 years.

I can't say enough good things about, it's just totally killer. It comes with me to just about every gig in various scenarios. Here's how I'll use it and this is ALWAYS with a preamp in between ud and amp:

1. simply to amplify myself, to give a slight boost in a smallish sized room where I'd otherwise want to be acoustic but I'm in volume competition

2. As a personal monitor when I'm otherwise going through a PA. Take the 1/4" from the preamp into the AER, send the XLR of the pre directly to the PA. My sound is more spread out and I can hear myself thank the maker.

3. Plug my entire trio (voice, ud, violin) into a small Mackie, run an out from that right into the AER. Works like a charm in small restaurants and fills the room so well (we're otherwise not loud).

4. There's also an XLR out in the back of the AER that you can send to the PA.

I love actually being able to hear myself while playing in an ensemble and this thing does it for me. They sound like little PA systems and I can't imagine another system out there that sounds this good and weighs this little. Quite possibly there is something out there, I haven't see it yet so please anyone let us know if we're missing something!

Adam

journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 01:31 PM

I have an AER amp for my nylon string guitar and it is absolutely the best amp I have ever used for acoustic guitar. I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well for the oud.

roypatterson.com

Go To Top