Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Changing The Bridge
SufianSaeed
Oud Maniac

Mood: Feeling like A Resha

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 01:00 PM
Changing The Bridge

Hello everyone ,
thanks for the tips the last time i managed to fix my turkish Oud , This forum has an underrated amount of information hidden between its pages.

i got this New oud in Libya, we dont get much lately due to the war but this's a cheap one , it costed me something like 180/200 Dollars , the build quality is alright and finish is okay but the bridge is plastic , yes literally plastic , i have no idea if thats really bad or just bad but i installed new la bella strings just today , they're still stretching but there's a kinda of an echo'y sound to it , the action is higher than my turkish oud , 4mm at the point where the neck joins the body compared to 3mm to the turkish oud , the guy said its an iraqi made oud in turkey .

String Length from nut: 58.5
From Top to bottom: 68.5
Fretboard: 20mm
am wondering if you guys have any tips regarding installing a new bridge or is it okay to play with the plastic one , i feel its affecting the sound a lot.

[file]34339[/file]

[file]34341[/file]
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 02:41 PM

Are you sure the bridge is not wood which has been heavily coated with a shiny plastic finish? At any rate, removing a bridge without damaging the soundboard is a job requiring both knowledge and skill. Replacing a bridge is a bit simpler IF you know what you are doing.
Kostya_B
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-16-2015 at 08:36 PM

Hello everyone :)) Just joined this topic because I've got interested by the matter of the bridge replacement. Like SufianSaeed here I've purchased a cheap oud from Turkey, but it has this problem: holes in the bridge are made with such interval, that the 2 strings of each pair get placed too far from one another. At the same time, gap between each pair of strings narrows down. As a result, playing becomes difficult.

Do you think I should send the instrument back, or is it worth trying to replace the bridge? Because otherwise it's quite decently built. BTW, the bridge also looks "plastic", as SufianSaeed here says, but it is in fact wooden, which can be seen in the string holes where strings are inserted. Just heavily varnished with some black stuff.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-17-2015 at 03:56 AM

It is unlikely that the bridge is made of plastic as it would be difficult to securely glue it to the wooden soundboard even with epoxy cement or other synthetic glues. If it is made of wood and heavily varnished and you don't like the finish then one solution would be to remove the varnish coating down to the wood by careful scraping.

To avoid replacing a bridge that has the string holes inaccurately positioned, the old holes may be plugged and new holes drilled with the bridge still in position. This is a topic that has been covered a few times on this forum but this description of the procedure by forum member Fritz is about as clear and precise as it can be

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=14844#pid10...

Be sure to mark the exact positions of the hole with a sharp pointed tool on the front face of the bridge (not the back as the drill may tend to wander out of alignment). The scriber marks will act as a positive guide for the drill bit when starting to drill. Drill slowly(by hand - do not use a power drill!) little by little, backing out the drill to clear any dust build up that may cause the bit to jam and break.
Use a standard mechanics twist drill bit (1 mm or so in diameter) - they are very cheap, made in China. The bit may be epoxy glued into a long wooden dowel that will act as an extension piece to facilitate the drilling process. Protect the surface of the sound board with thin card temporarily taped in place.
Kostya_B
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-21-2015 at 04:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  

To avoid replacing a bridge that has the string holes inaccurately positioned, the old holes may be plugged and new holes drilled with the bridge still in position. This is a topic that has been covered a few times on this forum but this description of the procedure by forum member Fritz is about as clear and precise as it can be

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=14844#pid10...

Be sure to mark the exact positions of the hole with a sharp pointed tool on the front face of the bridge (not the back as the drill may tend to wander out of alignment). The scriber marks will act as a positive guide for the drill bit when starting to drill. Drill slowly(by hand - do not use a power drill!) little by little, backing out the drill to clear any dust build up that may cause the bit to jam and break.
Use a standard mechanics twist drill bit (1 mm or so in diameter) - they are very cheap, made in China. The bit may be epoxy glued into a long wooden dowel that will act as an extension piece to facilitate the drilling process. Protect the surface of the sound board with thin card temporarily taped in place.

Thank you very much. I also thought about that possibility. I like this one better than sending the oud back.
Thank you so much again :))

Go To Top