Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question on maqamat
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 09:14 AM
Question on maqamat

Hi guys,

If I asked somebody to play the same song startin from different notes, say, forexample, a bayat song or ta2seem on C and then on D and then on F, will a good oud musician be able to move easily move from one note to the other. Does it take alot of time to get adjusted to starting the bayat from the C and then from the D, etc....

Can you guys do nice ta2seems not mater where you start or is it related to the note your playing your maqam on.

Sorry if my question is a little too vague or hard to understand.

Hilal :airguitar:
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 01:35 PM

Hi Chris,

I'd say that it depends; there are some transpositions that are common and others that are rare.
The short answer is yes, that a highly skilled musician will probably be able to play something in various keys. But there are a lot of things to consider. Some transpositions are a lot easier than others (Ajam on Ab is much easier than sikah on B, for example) and are more frequent and thus more important to know.

First you should distinguish between a transposition as the basis for a taqsim or song and one that would be used as a modulation.
For instance, it doesn't really make much sense to play saba on C as the basis for a taqsim (although a good player could), because the essence of Saba (the ornaments, development, motion, etc.) is related to the D string. There might be a reason for doing so (say, to accomodate a singer's range, or simply to challenge oneself, or to discover new ideas), but it's not an ordinary occurence. However, it is common enough that you might modulate to saba on C from another C-based maqam (like Farid in Raqsat el-Jamal: Hijaz on C to Saba on C). At first at least, it seems to me to be more important to learn the standard positions for the maqamat before attempting more unusual transpositions (although excellent players can make use of unusual transpositions during modulation to create a dramatic surprise for the listeners).
one transposition that's really important is to learn all the ajnas on the G string, because most of the maqamat modulate to G at some point. So rast, ajam, nahawand, kurd, bayyati, saba, nawa'athar, hijaz, and even sikah should be learned on G. Almost as important is learning them on D, C, F, and A, because they are very common points to modulate to as well. Once you feel pretty confident about those, then you might want to work on some more obscure modulations (hijaz on F#, for example, or Nakriz on Bb, etc.)
hope this is helpful

Brian
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 1-14-2005 at 03:50 PM
Hey Brian

:wavey:

How are you man? Long time no see

I hope you had a very good holidays.

Happy new year bro.

Re: Chris_Khouri's question

In addition to what Brian said, I pesonally played some of my own old taqaseems from a different notes or on a different scale to match a maqam of a song. This not always easy Brian was right in that. You could make it too hard for your self some times.

It is better to learn everything the correct way then put your creative finger prints after.

Good luck Chris

Kind Regards,
------------------
Emad
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-15-2005 at 02:51 AM
Thanks guys,

Hi Emad and Brian,

I really apprecaite your help alot. The reason I asked this is because I am afraid that at some concerts/parties, one of the singers would ask me to start a song according to this voice range.

You're reply was very informative. I will post some samples of my ta2aseem soon, perhaps later today.

Hilal
:airguitar:
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-15-2005 at 10:40 AM

Hey Emad,

yeah, i haven't been posting lately . . . just been busy. My holidays were nice, despite being stuck here because my flight (Delta) was cancelled . . . thanks for asking. Happy new year to you too.

Brian

Go To Top