Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: how do you control sympathetic resonance ?
juju
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 03:33 AM
how do you control sympathetic resonance ?

Sometimes I feel incomfortable with the resonance of my oud.
In the case of a D Bayati, when I play F on my D string, the low F is hearable by sympathetic resonance. That resonance gives a feeling of a modulation in F ... that is not my intention ... do I have to mute the F strings in that case ? Do you experiment the same kind of issue on your oud ?
best
juju
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2015 at 04:27 PM

You can gently lay a finger of either hand on the F course and this will immediately mute it. Generally the left hand is more convenient. When fingering F on the DD course with the third finger, the first finger is free to touch the strings at the place for G on the FF course. You can push all the way to the fingerboard or just lay the finger on the surface of the string. Another approach is to tune the FF course to GG. But then you will get a different sonic atmosphere. The prevalent Turkish type tuning of fourths all the way does away with much of this response. You could follow this example and tune the FF course to EE. But your high cc course which has been gaining body from the overtones of the FF course will now sound noticeably "thinner". The sound will have less body. The only way to completely avoid uninvited "support" from the lower string is to play with four courses and remove the lower strings a la Zyriab.

In my opinion this trouble you are having might mean that you have a good oud. It is responsive and alive. Personally I find these moments of unexpected support from the lower strings thrilling and welcome for the most part.
juju
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 02:20 AM

Thanks for your replies. I'll try to mute the strings with my left hand.
Actually, I play a high F tunings. I was wondering if my left hand thumb would be a good option to mute my low F string ?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 07:52 AM

Yes, tuning the low course to EE in F tuning would be very strange! but it would also be similar to the Turkish tuning of the low course to C# and the high course to dd. Yes, you can probably use your thumb. Or…..you can learn to love the uninvited F resonance. :-)
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 01:42 PM

I agree with Jody and add that there will be more resonance the in tune the instrument is. Personally I love the sound of the whole instrument "singing" along with you I don't understand why you would want to avoid it..
juju
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2015 at 03:43 PM

I agree with you, the resonance is part of the sound.
In my case, I find it too present. I think I'll try to use lighter strings for my low F to decrease the resonance.

I am wondering if resonance is a characteristic of many modern oud sound ... in old recording, the resonance seems to be less present.

Go To Top