Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Problems Dealing with Fadi Matta
samag35
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-31-2015 at 02:02 PM
Problems Dealing with Fadi Matta

Hello,

I wish I did not have to make a post on here in order to try and get my problems resolved with Fadi Matta but I have exhausted every other option. I would really appreciate it if anyone that knows him personally could make themselves known on this thread.

I paid Fadi $300 USD for a deposit on a Oud and we agreed that he contacts me before he starts working on the instrument to discuss the details. Since giving the deposit, me and Fadi had some communication problems so I requested to cancel the order and asked for my deposit back (I was messaging him in arabic). Fadi initially agreed to return the money then later changed his mind saying that he already built the bowel and the neck of the Oud. However, this could not have been possible because Fadi did not know the dimensions for the bowel and the scale length that I wanted for the Oud. I just want to get my deposit back so I can buy another Oud. It would be greatly appreciated if someone that knows him personally could talk to him and get him to do the right thing. As far as I am concerned this is theft.

Thanks in advance,

journeyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-31-2015 at 03:24 PM

I can't be of direct help, but normally when a client makes a deposit it is understood that the money insures a commitment from the builder and also from the client. I realize that there could be some communication problems in your case, but is there no way you can reestablish communication and agree on the details of scale etc.? Always difficult I know when one has a bad taste in the mouth, but I hope you get things resolved satisfactorily.

roypatterson.com
samag35
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 09:43 AM

Thanks Journeyman. I considered going forward and continuing on with the order despite the circumstances but I couldn't after losing trust in the luthier. When I mentioned that I had communication problems, I didn't want to get into any details. Overall I wasn't happy with the way he was treating me after giving him the deposit, he became rude and unprofessional. That being said I was patient with him for a period of approximately one month and then finally lost my patience and couldn't handle such treatment any-more. The guy makes very nice Ouds, I just wish he had better people skills.

samag35
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-31-2015 at 10:01 AM

FINAL UPDATE ,

After taking up advice from various members in this forum to try and work things out with Fadi, I attempted to re-stablish contact with him in a professional manner in hopes of salvaging the situation. Fadi did not reciprocate this window of communication and as of this day he still has my deposit money and I have no Oud. I also sought council from third party mediators some of which know him at a personal level but unfortunately I was not able to get him to change his mind. This man is very hot headed and stubborn. For some reason, he thinks he is entitled to do things like this, but I digress.

I am not writing this to try and ruin this man's reputation for building good quality Ouds because I did mention before that I thought his instruments are great. I am writing this because it seems that there is a lingering mentality in middle eastern culture where some people (after reaching a certain level of prestige) think that they are entitled to behave in unprofessional and unethical ways. This is largely due to their ego and the name that they established for themselves, who dares questioning their conduct? While me, just a mere consumer with no rights, no credibility and a dollar sign on my forehead, as if money just fell in my pocket and I didn't have to work for it. I am extremely disappointed by the behaviour of this man after I thought so highly of him and made him my number one choice for purchasing my first professional Oud. Money I will regain but the respect that I lost for this man will not be. He did not even try to meet me 1/4 of the way !
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-31-2015 at 11:53 AM

Someone told me a story once.

A man is sitting in a cafe and overhears another pair of men talking. One of them is telling the other:
"It's incredible, my house has never been so clean and I'm eating better than I ever have in my life! Plus I don't have to do my own laundry any more."
His friend replies: "Amazing! It's quite lucky for you that you found such an useful animal."
"Yes, it's a rather remarkable horse. It's changed my life. With all my free time I am enjoying myself much more and have a great deal more success."

At this point, the man feels compelled to interrupt.
"Excuse me, but you are talking about a horse? It can cook and clean and do laundry?"

The two men who had been talking suddenly become hushed and suspicious. "What?! Why are you eavesdropping on us? It's none of your business."

The man, now anxious, pleads: "Wait, please listen to me. Where can I get such an animal? To be honest, my life hasn't been going so great lately. My wife left me, my business is doing poorly, I can't sleep and my health is suffering. If I could have an animal such as yours to help me out, it could really change my life."

The man with the horse responds coldly, "You will not find another horse like this one, and it is not for sale. Why would I part with it?"

"Please, have some compassion. You seem to have a decent life, have some pity on someone less fortunate," begs the first man, now desperate.

Moved, the man with the horse relents. "You are right. You need this horse more than I do. But I am not so well-off that I can give it to you. I paid a good deal for such a valuable animal."

The price he quotes is more than the poor man anticipated but it is just manageable. Convinced that this will solve his problems, he agrees. The two men go to retrieve the horse and the money changes hands. The horse doesn't appear to be anything special at first, but the old owner assures him: "it's been working for me all day, look at these clean clothes, the spotless house, and the hot food ready for me. When it is well-rested tomorrow, it will astonish you!"

Thus appeased, the poor man leads his prized purchase home.

In the morning the horse does not begin cooking breakfast. Nor does it start the laundry or clean the house. Realizing that he has been tricked, the poor man is blind with anger. He heads to the house of the man who sold him the horse. He is not there, a servant tells him. He went to the cafe. Rushing to the cafe, he burst in and begins abusing the seller of the horse, calling him a liar and a thief, and shouting that the horse is nothing but an ordinary old nag, and of no use whatsoever.

In a whisper, the seller admonishes the poor man: "Shh! Be quiet, you fool! What do you think you are doing? If you keep going on like that, everyone will hear your complaints. You'll never be able to sell that horse!"

samag35
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 04:02 PM

Thanks for sharing that Brian, it was truly a good read. Had a few giggles while reading that at work :D
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 02:27 PM

I do feel like I want to address your "lingering mentality in middle eastern culture..." comment. This comment has a nastily racist ring to it also seems to imply that the Middle East is some kind of culturally homogeneous mass that can be characterized broadly; it can't be. And at any rate the behavior you mention in the rest of that sentence is hardly exclusive to the Middle East. I think that "lingering mentality" can be found all over the world and in all walks of life. That being said, I am sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with the oud and I hope you somehow find resolution.

Our music is like an ocean...
samag35
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-18-2016 at 09:47 AM

You are correct about the generalized statement, I should have worded that differently. That being said, I am from the Middle East, lived there and know the culture very well. For instance, business owners will fight with customers more so then in the western world or outright refuse to sell their products if they don't like you. Often, they will get defensive if you question or inquire too much about the quality of their products and generally are more hard-headed and short tempered than one might expect, especially when they are in a position that necessitates the use of customer service. Of course, this does not encompass everyone like you mentioned. I feel like today, there are more businesses that have embraced the modern approach of “reasonably trying” at making the customer happy, this is proven to be more profitable in the long run. Reading through these forums, I have stumbled across many customer service related issues, most of which have been resolved in the end. This reinforces my previous statement and makes me thankful for the existence of these forums. Thank you for your wishes Amos and thanks Mike for providing a medium where these discussions can occur.

Go To Top