Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: what about the string tension balance?
Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2015 at 11:09 PM

Hello Marouan ,
I think the gauges which you gave is extremely heavy... remember also the Turkish Oud is much lighter than Arab Oud....

I am working with Mimmo at the moment on new set of strings for 60 cm and 61.5 cm ouds... as I told him 3.4 kg is good enough for a new Oud apart from the bass C which can go up to 3.7kg as it's a single string...
also I have told him for Old ouds, the maximum is 3.2 kg a part again from the bass C 3.5-3.6 Kg

I like vey much the bass strings however they are lacking some sustain for me... I also believe the Old yellow Nylgut for the to C & G are more convincing than the new red invented strings...

I am still experimenting with the strings and shall let everybody know my thoughts ...

Best wishes,

Adel
http://www.adelsalameh.com/oudcamp.php
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:27 AM

Hello Adel
indeed I found it really heavy at first but get used to this. On all course high tension on a fix bridge totally kill the sound....if not the oud itself !! But for the first treble course I found it nice to have some more tense. It didnt made any structure troubles on my oud since. I guess because concern a single course.
as far as I can feel the ozten strings I'm using nowadays are maybe a bit lower than that on the trebles side, but I don't know the gauges to precise. Ok the 4.8 is probably caricatural :) but at least I can say I like to have more tension on first and maybe also 2nd course.
I would use the tense of 3.4 you are talking about for the others strings and agree on the more tense single bass.
looking forward to read your thoughts about the strings testing
regards

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 10:30 AM

Hello Adel
indeed I found it really heavy at first but get used to this. On all course high tension on a fix bridge totally kill the sound....if not the oud itself :) But for the first treble course I found it nice to have some more tense. It didnt made any structure troubles on my oud since. I guess because concern a single course.
as far as I can feel the ozten strings I'm using nowadays are maybe a bit lower on the trebles side, but I don't know the gauges. Ok the 4.8 is probably caricatural, but at least I can say I like to have more tension on first and maybe also 2nd course.
I would use the tense of 3.4 you are talking about for the others strings and agree on the more tense single bass.

juju
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 01:43 PM

Hi,
I agree with Adel. For arabic oud, low tension gives a better sound.
I tested many strings set on my 61,5cm syrian oud. The best sound was achivied with 2,9kg for most of the strings. I noticed two exceptions : the G string should be lighter (around 2,7kg with NR) and the D string should be heavier (around 3,2kg with wound strings).
For short scales (58,5cm or 57cm), the average tension should be higher and the NR doesn't give good results (thick NR doesn't sound good)...replacing it by PVF is a good option.
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-2-2015 at 01:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aquila  
Hi guys,
3rd: loaded nylgut ( finally no wound strings here, a densified Nylgut make the sound brigther and even that the normal nylgut);

4th; 5th; 6th: deep red wound strings. There is a prevalence of core over the metal wire so there is less sustain, deeper sound & warmer tonality
The balance of tension is pretty good, I think. :).

Mimmo

These are good news Mimmo.
I hope to meet you in Sulzburg in September to try and see all these improvement.

Robert
Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 03:01 AM

thanks Mimmo for the strings ...
Dear friends,
here is what I think of these strings....it took sometime to test few sets ...
I have tried 3.4 kg on new ouds apart from the bass c which is at 3.7kg... it works very well
Also we have tried 3.2 Kg which I like a lot...

for the new red strings for C & G , I have told Mimmo that I prefer the old yellow nylgut , for few reasons, they give a thinner sound and you got not the real note....compare to the earthy , warmer larger sound of the nylgut... they reminded me of carbon strings , as a result of the metal inserted inn them
as for the D in Red new strings, I am quite sure some players will like them , myself I preferred the copper wound string.

also I have discussed with him the problem of the old yellow nylgut, which is when the string is tuned, then you play up the fingerboard , then the notes are not clean and sounds not in tune....this you do not find in Lute nylgut strings as they are rectified...then I believe the oud strings should be rectified too to avoid this problem...I tested this set the other day in my concert in Germany, I was not very comfortable with the top C and G ...the rest of the strings are fine...
Mimmo we will see you at the Oud camp this August , other masters will be also their, ouds students , this way you can hear directly from them .

In my opinion, these are excellent strings at a very reasonable price, warm sound , nice sustain...
I wish you all the best,
Adel

http://www.adelsalameh.com/oudcamp.php
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-3-2015 at 07:35 AM

I agree with Adel, I have been trying the rectified nylgut from the lute strings and there are no intonation problems. I think the sound is better also.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
nasers
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 03:31 PM

Fascinating discussion. But how can you worry about the amount of tension on a string when you are dealing with a specific string on a specific oud which you have to tune to a specific tuning? See what I mean? For example, I have to tune my 3rd pair to D no matter how many Kg's of tension that creates. Do you change tuning to achieve a certain level of tension? That doesn;t make sense. Do you buy different types of strings to achieve a certain tension level? How do you even measure tension on a string? Is there a special tool?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-23-2015 at 06:02 PM

Well, Mimmo manufactures strings, so he can modify the manufacturing process to achieve the desired tension.

Matthias and I sell strings; generally to achieve the desired tension we select from a variety of strings available. The tension is determined by the string, the vibrating string length (aka scale or scale length), the and the pitch to which it is tuned.

There are ways to measure the actual tension of the string, but in most cases we are using mathematical formulas or tools, based on the effective unit weight or density of the string (generally information provided by the string's manufacturer).

Of course you are correct in that if you only have a premade set of strings available, the only way to change the tension is to tune the oud differently.
If you are a string maker, you could change the density of the strings. Ordinary folks can select from various strings available. Luthiers can make the oud longer (more tension) or shorter (less tension).

Other things affect the perceived tension (the tension to the touch may feel different than the actual tension): break angles at the bridge and nut, as well as the core:winding ratio, and how tight the windings are (looser windings feel lighter at the same tension).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top