Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ibrahim Alaryan
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 07:55 PM
Ibrahim Alaryan

Does anyone have any info on this Egyptian composer/player of the last generation, I think? We are just learning his Samai Bayati which is, according to my teacher, a very important 'classical' piece...
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 08:38 PM

He was a qanun player. You can hear him play his famous samai here

http://www.amar-foundation.org/030-samai/

it starts at about 15 minutes and 50 seconds
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 09:12 PM

Thanks Jody!
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 02:04 AM
Ibrahim Al A'rian

Ibrahim Al A'rian (1892-1953)

Ibrahim Ahmed Yousef Abdallah Al A'rian was born in Cairo in 1892. His father and his grandfather were accomplished musicians and Qanoun players. He followed his ancestor's steps in the traditional school, just like the other musical families, like Al A'qqad, Hafnawy, Shararah and Abdu Saleh, among others, who inherited the art of playing from their ancestors.

It was just expected that when he became a proficient musician, he'd join the Takht (ensemble) of senior singers of that era, such as Muhammad Salem Al Agouz , Mohammad Al Sab'e and Sayyed Darweesh.

In 1929 he joined Umm Kulthum's band playing qanoun and took part in her first 8 years recordings (1929-1936).

Afterwards, Al A'ryan recorded the most famous and well known Sama'i Bayati. It was followed by Sama'e Nahawand and Sama'e Sikah. Sama'e Bayati is deemed to be the most famous Sama'e in the history of Arabian music.

Along with his son, Ahmed Al A'ryan, who himself became a violinist in Umm Kulthum's band; they were a duet and recorded many musical pieces for the Official Egyptian radio that was released to air in May 1934.

Among Al A'rian's students we may find the name of Mohammed Abdo Saleh, the famous qanoun player of Umm Kulthum's band for years to come and the musical director of her band, after Muhammad Al Qasabjy was relegated.

There's nothing much in the written Arabic library on the biography of Ibrahim Al Arian. I could barely find his name in my relatively big written library. It might be due to the fact that biographies of musicians were not a matter of interest at that time, or due to the fact that there was nothing much to write about their CV, except they were born, composed and played music. It might also be due to the fact that musicians of that era were mostly illiterate and were unable to put down their memoirs for themselves, where, how, when and with whom they had worked with. Notwithstanding, the greatest musical effect of a composer is his musical heritage, rather than his resume. Ibrahim Al A'rian has left us a repertoire which kept him alive in the mass memory of the Arab world, even if he's not that well known. You will not find a musician in the Arab world who has not been introduced to the name of Ibrahim Al A'rian, even if he did not actually studied or even played his music.

Ibrahim Al A'rian died in Cairo in 1953.

I hope this would be of some help to get to know the artist.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

فياض ، د. ليلى لميحة ، موسوعة أعلام الموسيقى ، دار الكتب العالمية ، بيروت 1992
زكي ، عبد الحميد توفيق ، المعاصرون من روّاد الموسيقى العربية ، الهيئة المصرية العامة للكتاب ، القاهرة 1993

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
PaulS
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 05:36 AM

Thanks so much! What great info! I really appreciate it Alfaraby

Go To Top