Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Egypt Oud
egypt omar
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-19-2005 at 07:06 PM
Egypt Oud

i recently bought an oud in Egypt for the equivalent of $50 US.. does anyone know about such ouds in Egypt,, their quality, etc? it sounds nice, i just need to learn the tuning for the thing..
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2005 at 08:51 AM

Hi

Yeah the quality is definately great for decoration or display! Worth buying!

Congratulation!
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 1-20-2005 at 04:07 PM

Hey Omar,

Congratulations on your new oud and hobby :applause: The oud you purchased is probably not the best quality oud but that doesn't mean that you can't make beautiful music out of it. Where I come from in Libya, most of the ouds that people own and play are the cheapest on the market, yet they soundn amazing on them because they tweak and mess with them to get the sound they want. I really disagree with the notion that someone needs a high level oud to start on. You can learn the basics on any oud and when you get to the point where the quality of the instrument is hindering your playing ability, then I think you need to move up to something better. All this, however, is all speculation. I really don't know what kind of oud you have or even if it is playable. Zulk is more familiar with the ouds in Egypt and their prices so he may be right about your oud. Try it out and mess with it for a couple of months. If its so bad that you can't even keep the strings from going out of tune, then you probably need a new oud. But as long as the strings remain tuned, I think you are ok starting off. Now, as far as tuning goes, the tuning for Arabic is either CFAdgc or DGAdgc (low to high). If you're new to music all together and don't have a good ear, you need to get a chromatic tuner and use it to tune. Finally, if you see that the oud is staying in tune, then getting better strings will make a big difference. I've used the cheap egyptian strings before and they suck. I hope this is enough to get you started. If you feel after a while that you need a better oud, there are always great deals on this forum.
Monawar Al-Jabar
Oud Junkie

Mood: playing Oud

[*] posted on 1-21-2005 at 04:46 AM

If you are looking for a Good Oud you need to logon to http://www.nielshop.net or you can call Yehai on 0020102796450 he will get you a good Oud from the best Oud maker in Egypt and that is maurice.
egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-25-2005 at 11:36 AM
My Egyptian Oud

Thanks for teh number.. next time i'm in egypt i'll definitely give it a ring. Although my new Oud sounds really nice and looks really nice, i know that it could be much better and much more professional. I wonder how much a professional oud would cost in Egypt.. anyone know by chance?
Omar:airguitar:
egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-25-2005 at 11:41 AM
number of strings

Hey all again.. I was wondering, so the Oud i have is definitely worthy of being played and is not simply a decorative item. It sounds really nice and doesnt go out of tune that easily. I am definitely going to be getting non-Egyptian strings sometime soon, just to see how the difference is.. I'm sure Egyptians arent the best string makers in teh world :)
As for the strings, so teh top string is a solo string, then there are only 4 sets of double strings under that. Shouldnt there be an additional 5 sets? I actually dont mind the way it's set up now, but does anyone know how the tuning of the "5 strings" should go? Thanks again Oudists.
Omar
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-25-2005 at 02:29 PM

hi egypt omar

yes some cheap ouds can sound realy nice (with the right strings on it) sometimes. i 've got one made by said kamel mourci
i bought it for less than 100 USD and i love to have it
becouse i can take it with me everywhere without caring to mutch about it
and fore recordings i have a nice midrange turkish oud

i'm looking forward to see a picture of your oud

regards
mourad
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 1-25-2005 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by egypt omar
.... but does anyone know how the tuning of the "5 strings" should go? Omar

Hi Omar,

From low to high G AA DD gg cc
or F AA DD gg cc

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from your new oud.

Regards,

Greg
egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 10:14 AM
thanks again

thanks for the advice greg! I'm gonna get that sucker tuned as soon as i get home from work. IT really does sound very good, i'll have to get some photos and sound clips of it once i get my camera back from my brother..
cheers all!
Omar
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 11:10 AM

Hey Omar,

Congrats on the new oud. For some reason, that's how most oud stores string up ouds in Egypt. If the nut has more grooves & your bridge has enough holes, then you should be able to get 11 strings on it. If that's the case, get some Aquila strings and string that bad boy up. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your oud.

Take care,
Mike

egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 11:23 AM
strings

Is it consensus that the Aquila strings are the best ones to get while here in the US? I'm already in the process of ordering them, and yes the Oud has grooves and pegs for the 2 additional strings.. I cant wait to hear how it sounds with some 'non-egyptian' strings on it !
Omar
egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 11:25 AM
curiosity

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Oud does Nasir Shamma use? Is that an Egyptian Oud by a particular maker? I know he's Iraqi, but he spends most of his time in Egypt apparently training others. I am just amazed at his skill!
Omar
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by egypt omar
Just out of curiosity, what kind of Oud does Nasir Shamma use? Is that an Egyptian Oud by a particular maker? I know he's Iraqi, but he spends most of his time in Egypt apparently training others. I am just amazed at his skill!
Omar

His Bashir oud is built by Yaroub Fadel and he has also one 8 course oud built by Fawzy Monshed. I've heard that a particular Egyptian maker is copying the bashir by Monshed.

Best wishes

Ronny
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 03:52 AM

Personally I would consider it a waist to put high quality strings that cost more than 30$ on an oud worth 50$. I am not sure that you will get value for your money.
Cheap ouds can sound good, but that a relative thing, of course they would sound better with high quality strings but still doesnt justify the price you pay.
I dont know on what level you play, but if you are a beginner and have a cheap oud, use cheap strings, and when you get better you will wanna upgrade.

Regards
/Walid
egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 08:39 AM
understood

Well, the thing is, the Oud came really with only "5 strings", the top one being solo string. I am a guitar player typically but I do intend on making Oud my new instrument of choice. Buying the new strings would allow me to explore the full range of sounds. I realize $50 doesnt sound like very much, but in Egypt that is 300 L.E. , or 1 month salary for an average Egyptian. It doesnt look like a toy and it sounds real nice. Of course it wont sound as good as your $500 Oud, but believe me for what I paid, you'd be astonished how beautiful the sounds that come out of it are.. I think the new strings will def. be worth it. Of course this is my beginner Oud, and eventually I'll buy a more professional one, but for what it is,,, it rocks! Once I get my camera back i'll be showing some pics.
peace all.
Omar:airguitar:
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 09:03 AM

Maybe on your next trip to Cairo you can get the Oud at Khan el Khalili - they sell it at $30 max ($25 if you lucky enough to bargain) Save you a lot and the look also amazingly awesome! Then you can order custom Pyramid Laute strings set or Aquila and try it on the Oud - it will make a lot of different!
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by egypt omar I realize $50 doesnt sound like very much, but in Egypt that is 300 L.E. , or 1 month salary for an average Egyptian. It doesnt look like a toy and it sounds real nice. Of course it wont sound as good as your $500 Oud, but believe me for what I paid, you'd be astonished how beautiful the sounds that come out of it are ....
peace all.
Omar

Omar,

I believe you make a very good point about the relative value of US$50 in Egypt. Please don't be "put off" by uncharitable remarks. If the oud sounds good and you enjoy playing it, the modest amount you paid for it is of no consequence. I look forward to hearing and seeeing photos of your instrument.

Regards,

Greg
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 02:57 AM

Greg, I suggest that you read my post again. I didnt mean to discourage Omar in any way.

I've been in egypt and I know that for 50$ you get an ok beginner oud, but as Omar said nothing near a 500$ oud.
I am sure that Omar doesnt need top quality strings for enjoying his oud.
I would recomend cheaper brands like daddario or Wyres, but if it makes you feel better with aquila and money is no issue, then why shouldnt you do it.
Saying that, i guess some member will now acuse me for putting you off.

Regards
/Walid
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 04:40 AM

Walid,

Sorry if I offended you, but my "uncharitable remarks" comment was not referring to your post or to your suggestions about strings. I don't believe your comments were uncharitable in any way. I agree entirely with the suggestions that you made to Omar.

I currently use Pyramid lute strings on my Ghadban oud and Savarez on my Nahat. I intend to try Aquilla on my next string change. But, as you suggest, a cheaper set of strings may well be adequate for Omar's beginners' instrument. Incidently, I don't think Aquilla strings are that expensive anyway, considering their reputed quality.

Regards,

Greg
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 09:23 AM

Here is my take on things. Buy the best that is worth what you can afford, be it a screwdriver an oud or strings. Cheap strings do not last as long and most are not the right tension. Buying good strings will give more milage for the same amount spent in the long run and may improve the sound. I would string the oud with the cheapest if I do not intened to playa and just want to hang on the wall for display.
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 10:18 AM

Quote:

Cheap strings do not last as long and most are not the right tension. Buying good strings will give more milage for the same amount spent in the long run and may improve the sound.

Mr Riachi, it's surprises me that you are saying this, because it's very wrong.. I would say that quality strings doesnt last as long as the less quality ones, that's in general case. Usually, quality strings are thinner or are of softer nylon material, they sound greate but doesnt last as long. Compare pyramids cheapest oud strings with the pyramids lute strings set (that Shamma, Munir Bashir uses) and check witch ones lasts the longest time, thats one example. You can also take Savarez highest quality oud strings and compare them to daddario. By the way that applies to classical guitar strings to, compare high quality strings for classical guitar with lesser quality and you can draw the same conclusion.

Regards
/Walid
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 11:18 AM

Mr. Walkad,
It is my understanding that it is desirable to have very low tension on the lute such a condition dictates that the strings be finer and less dense. There is a scientific law which explains the codependence of the frequency, scale length, tension and density of a single string. If you search the forums you'll find where I stated the law in mathematical form.

As far as the high cost of Lute strings, it is due to the low demand for them in such a less commonly played instrument and the fact that a lute string manufacturer has to supply many choices of strings to accomidate the many sizes and styles of lutes and a wide spectrum of tensions. I would say the oud is much more commonly played than the lute... don't you agree? Also there are less variations in ouds compared to lutes. The main reason oud players choose Pyramid lute strings, is not for their high quality but for the wider selection available regarding the tensions. Any time you request a custom set the price almost doubles from the precofigured set but same quality strings.

By the way the Nylgut strings are denser than the nylon strings and are slightly more expensive so that contradicts your theory of finer strings being more expensive and of higher quality.

You can also purchase from Pyramid carbon fiber strings, expensive and very strong, high quality "I assume" and last longer.

Also the windings on low quality wound strings will break in a short period of time. Trying out the "3 Pyramids brand," low quality strings I would say, mine broke in the process of stringing and I am not a beginner when it comes to stringing an oud or a guitar.

As you can tell, we have opposing views on this issue but we can still be oud buddies I hope.
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 12:18 PM
Moreover

I would like to also add that the lute is played without a plectrum so lute strings may have a shoreter life when plucked with a plectrum as the case would be with the oud.

A good advice to Omar would be to experiment with sevral sets to determine which gives you the best sound and action on this oud and eventualy may want to upgrade to higher quality oud. Although I disagree with the approach of learning on an inferior oud. I think one needs all the help they can get starting out therefore should start out with the best they can afford.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 01:15 PM

I've used both Pyramid lute strings and their packages sets, I didn't see a difference in how long they lasted generally speaking. However, I did use a wound string for the g and it broke after 3 months. This was very thin wound string, and it broke at the bridge
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
I would like to also add that the lute is played without a plectrum so lute strings may have a shoreter life when plucked with a plectrum as the case would be with the oud.

it is also due to the left hand technique on the oud that some player have like myself. I stop the string occasionally with the nails.

Best wishes

Ronny
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top