Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Egypt Oud
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 01:58 PM

Sam, the low quality brand I mentioned is "Three Pyramids" and not "Pyramid" brand. Almost all the wound strings broke not only at the bridge, but also at a couple of places in the middle almost where plucked and over the finger board and if I recall one of them the windings broke at the neck-bowl joint. Anyway there is more to quality strings than longevity. However, it has been my experience that low quality strings in general are short lived.

I very much like the warm tones of copper windings though. I wish that it is an option from Aquila.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 02:04 PM

>You can also purchase from Pyramid carbon >fiber strings, expensive and very strong, high >quality "I assume" and last longer.

I use them on my Bashir ouds and the lifespan is about the same as plain nylon, nylon rectified by Pyramid. I prefer them thought for the sound.

Best wishes

Ronny
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 03:07 PM

Here is an interesting article about choosing strings. It talks about classical guitar strings but I think it can be generalized for the oud also. http://www.classicalguitarbuilder.com/march_news/October_Newsletter...
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 10:57 AM

Quote:

It is my understanding that it is desirable to have very low tension on the lute such a condition dictates that the strings be finer and less dense. There is a scientific law which explains the codependence of the frequency, scale length, tension and density of a single string. If you search the forums you'll find where I stated the law in mathematical form.

The effect of the tension on how long strings can last is neglectible in this case.
If you have thinner strings, less tension wouldnt make a big difference.

Quote:

The main reason oud players choose Pyramid lute strings, is not for their high quality but for the wider selection available regarding the tensions. Any time you request a custom set the price almost doubles from the precofigured set but same quality strings.

Well Munir Bashir achieved greate sound with pyramid lute strings, doesnt that testify for quality?

Quote:

You can also purchase from Pyramid carbon fiber strings, expensive and very strong, high quality "I assume" and last longer.

Expensive? yes. Very strong and last longer? No. They sound greate though.

Quote:

Also the windings on low quality wound strings will break in a short period of time. Trying out the "3 Pyramids brand," low quality strings I would say, mine broke in the process of stringing and I am not a beginner when it comes to stringing an oud or a guitar.

It happened once to me with a low price set from iraq, but the set was so cheap (4$) I think I could live with it. I dont think that would happend with for example d'Addarios set.

Quote:

I would like to also add that the lute is played without a plectrum so lute strings may have a shoreter life when plucked with a plectrum as the case would be with the oud.

That depends on what kinda risha you use and your play style, if you use very hard rishas maybe. But most of us will wear the strings on the area the left hand fingers move.

Quote:

As you can tell, we have opposing views on this issue but we can still be oud buddies I hope.

Ofcourse we are oud buddies, who wants a buddie that always agrees with you?;)
That's one thing I've been missing in this forum, everybody have the same opinion on everything.

Regards
/Walid
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 04:47 PM

One has to be carefull about the D'Adderio oud string sets. All of the ones I have seen out there are not of suitable gages (according to published data by the manufacturer) for Arabic tuning, even though they are stamped Arabic. I think they may be for Armenian tuning. But in general I think D'Adderio strings are Okay but maybe not suitable for Arabic tuning on Arabic ouds of common scale length. Also D'Addario sells different grades in quality of strings.

Later,
Elie
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2005 at 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
One has to be carefull about the D'Adderio oud string sets. All of the ones I have seen out there are not of suitable gages (according to published data by the manufacturer) for Arabic tuning, even though they are stamped Arabic. I think they may be for Armenian tuning. But in general I think D'Adderio strings are Okay but maybe not suitable for Arabic tuning on Arabic ouds of common scale length. Also D'Addario sells different grades in quality of strings.

Later,
Elie

Hi Elie, I'm also very skeptical about d'Addario strings for Arabic oud. The tension seems to be far to high for any classic oud. They works fine on Bashir oud and also with 57cm string lenght.

Best wishes

Ronny
egypt omar
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 09:50 AM
strings

The strings I chose to buy were the A'quila, they were only $20. If I had known where in Egypt to buy a much better Oud, I would have, I just didnt have the knowledge that I gained from mike's awesome site. But I'm gonna string her up, and see how it sounds. I know $50 seems like a cheap khan al khalili (for those of you who know egypt) ouds,, it def, is not! It is from muhammed ali street near Ramses sq. This a place at least known in egypt to be a place where to buy instruments affordable for average egyptians. (an average egyptian will not spend 3000 L.E. on a musical instrument). So i went there, and will have pictures of it shortly , hopefully with new strings :) :applause:
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 03:04 PM

You made a good choice for the strings. I hope you'll like the sound of your oud when you string him up. Post some audio too and let us know how you like the sound and all.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top