Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question on Ghadban ouds
Mohandis
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 05:02 AM
Question on Ghadban ouds

Hello all,

I've been a reader on this site for some months but just recently made an account. I am also a beginner learner on Oud and have been teaching myself on a "tourist" Oud, which I've had laying around for many years.
I'm considering purchasing an oud from Mr. Ghadban. I have not contacted him yet, but I absolutely love the way they look and the obvious craftsmanship put in to them.
My question is on the sound of them, which I hear in his many sample videos on youtube. They all seem to have a buzz...string buzz perhaps, which I don't like. I guess I would describe it as a muted fuzzy buzz. I realize that string buzz may be the result of many things: string tension, action height, etc. and perhaps it may also be related to the way a particular audio recording is made.

I am asking all current and former Ghadban oud owners to guide me here. Is there an inherent buzz in these ouds that cannot be changed or am I mishearing the sound in these videos? What do they sound like in person?

For reference and contrast, here's a few links to pieces where I don't hear this buzziness (or at least not much):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwS8LfGlCTk (nice medley btw, Navid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKGkNOEcwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8IUkYX-uw

Thanks for your responses and assistance.
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 06:03 AM

I have a Ghadban that I love, it is a 7 course fixed bridge. No buzz whatsover.
Most of Nazih recordings are probably with ouds he just finished and with new strings, they sound new.
Also some peoiple are crazy about ultra-low action which always comes at the price of a slight buzz like Turkish ouds.

The best thing is to talk to Nazih and tell him what you're looking for, he is a good listener. or even better make the jump to Beirut where he could meet you with ready made ouds that you can try and hear by yourself. you don't have to go to Ras Baalback (a hot region these days just near the Syrian Border)
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 06:56 AM

I listened to a few of the Nazih Ghadban videos of new ouds and I noticed that the buzz sounds happen only on a few spots on the fingerboard. I think what you are hearing is the combination of new strings and low action. (strings close to the fingerboard). It is not unusual for a luthier to set up a new oud with very low action because after a few months or even weeks the instrument will shift and the action will go up. When it goes up the action will be comfortable instead of high.

My Ghadban oud had a buzz on several strings at a few positions on the fingerboard near the nut when the oud was new in the summer of 2011. After a few weeks the buzz vanished and never returned. The sound of this oud is superb and continues to get better. I play it a lot and I love this oud.
rex2009
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud Zone

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 09:48 AM

Hi Mohandis
I totally agree with Jody. These are new ouds. I have a Ghadban Oud and I love it to bits. I think he is one of the best Arabic oud makers around. You could also enquire about Michael Mousa's ouds in the UK. He makes high quality Egyptian ouds.
Tarig
Mohandis
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-18-2015 at 11:49 PM

Thank you so much for your comments Rex, Jody and ALAMI. Makes sense what you are saying and I'm feeling more comfortable and convinced.

Anyone else like to comment?
oudistcamp
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-19-2015 at 02:17 PM

Sent you a U2U.
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-26-2015 at 06:13 AM

I have two Ghadban ouds and they are thoroughly wonderful. The action was low when I received them and during some extreme humidity one summer they both developed slight buzzing. I emailed Nazih about it and in his usual tremendously helpful way he suggested two easy fixes. One oud has an adjustable neck and the other he suggested I simply slip a thin piece of wood on top of the bridge but under the strings. I liked the second fix better so have done it to both ouds and I like the sound even better so have no intent to remove it as I also prefer a higher action (actually I ended up using an appropriately cut piece of a black Turkish risha instead of a slice of wood and it worked great). Nazih has been great to deal with. A master and a gentleman.
Mohandis
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 01:08 AM

Thanks Jack for your input. Sounds like in your case the buzz was temporarily caused by the humidity and not an inherent characteristic. I know you like the sound better with your bridge shim, but after the humidity disappeared that summer, did you happen to test the ouds again without your shim in place?

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 5-29-2015 at 05:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jack  
I have two Ghadban ouds and they are thoroughly wonderful. The action was low when I received them and during some extreme humidity one summer they both developed slight buzzing. I emailed Nazih about it and in his usual tremendously helpful way he suggested two easy fixes. One oud has an adjustable neck and the other he suggested I simply slip a thin piece of wood on top of the bridge but under the strings. I liked the second fix better so have done it to both ouds and I like the sound even better so have no intent to remove it as I also prefer a higher action (actually I ended up using an appropriately cut piece of a black Turkish risha instead of a slice of wood and it worked great). Nazih has been great to deal with. A master and a gentleman.

Hi Jack!
I have been using this technique to three of my ouds with grate success.. I cut the risha a bit wider then the bridge.
How did you cut yours? As wide as the bridge? wider? thinner?

Thanks

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 03:50 AM

Greetings Luttgutt,
The risha was pretty well the same width as the top of the bridge so I didn't trim it at all. Someday I might make some really nice wood risers to use instead so as to compliment the beauty of the ouds. But I agree with you the rishas function very well.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-30-2015 at 02:14 PM

Hey Jack!

Thanks for Your reply :)

I have actually made one of bone.. and it looked very Nice and worked well.. Never tried Wood. Let me know how it Works.

Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-31-2015 at 02:28 AM

And This is the oud With the Bone :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK7Gdbm_k6E

Go To Top