Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New oud: stings 3,4,5 buzz in the middle of the neck
Kostya_B
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-22-2015 at 10:50 AM
New oud: stings 3,4,5 buzz in the middle of the neck

Hello everyone.

I've purchased an oud (~300$) at ebay, it was described as "Turkish quality oud etc.".
Upon delivery I've discovered, that the oud is indeed of decent build quality, looks good.

Except there are two defects with it:
1) Too much space between the paired strings, but too little between each set -- which makes it difficult to play in positions close to the nut. At the nut it's about 2mm between strings and ~3-4mm between each pair. Neck width = 37mm at nut.
2) Even when tuned to Turkish tuning, strings 3,4,5 give distinct buzz in the middle of the neck -- until where the neck joins the body. Strings 1,2,6 give no such buzz.

Now I've received an advise on how to fix the string position. Not a problem. How about the buzzing of the strings in the most played position, and that in an absolutely new instrument?
I know these both things can be fixed, but I'm growing doubtful as to the overall quality of the instrument.

I'm deciding now whether or not to send it back to the seller for a full refund, but if I decide to repair it, the return will be impossible. And the seller is ready to compensate 50% of the cost instead of having it sent back and paying back all the money...

What bothers me most is the possibility of this oud being not of such good quality as it seems from the outside. I mean, this happens with guitars: it may look good, then in 1 year the neck gets twisted etc.

Please, what would be the wisest thing to do here, given your experience with ouds? I must make my decision within a few days, and I'm not sure what to do. The instrument actually DOES look decent and the sound is decent. But playability is more important, isn't it? And would not even a good apprentice know this first of all?

Thank you very much in advance :)
Kostya_B
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-24-2015 at 02:32 PM

OK, I've decided to send it back, get the money and buy one of the Mike's apprentice ouds instead. This seems to be the most painless way of handling it.

Go To Top