Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: please help -- floating bridge string break angle?
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2015 at 10:57 AM
please help -- floating bridge string break angle?

Hi all,
i need some measurements form anyone who has a floating bridge oud or has built one... I need the length between the tie block and the bridge, and more importantly, height of strings to the soundboard right behind the bridge.

If someone knows what the degree of string break angle should be at that point, even better.

my builder and i are trying to figure out an arragement for the doubleneck -- i want a floating bridge setup, but the body is too short for a traditional tie block - it will make the string break angle too much... so we are lookingat a modified tie block, surface mounted... but we need the right angle to go for. any help is appreciated... thanks!

Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 06:08 AM

The distance from the bridge to the tie block is not important, the bridge needs to be located so that the total string length is = 3 x the neck length for a standard oud.

The string break angle at the bridge is determined by the angle of the neck relative to the plane of the face, and the height of the tail/tie block. The neck angle is set so that the string height at the body joint is 2-5mm with the floating bridge about 15 mm high. The tail of the floating bridge oud is around 10mm lower than the face plane at the bridge to add more pressure. The string angle to the tail tie block is not important, it's purpose is to increase the pressure on the face. Mandolins use a bent face and the first Bashir oud had this feature. Fadel later shaped the top of the body/face plane in a curve to achieve the same affect.

Hibari-San
Oud Maniac

Mood: contented

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 01:38 PM

Wow that looks quite awesome !

Why do you want to use a floating bridge ?
I'm just asking because I'm not sure what kind of bridge I will use for my oud.

I'm asking myself if anybody ever tried a regular acoustic guitar bridge for ouds ?

Best regards

Hibari
--------------------------------------------------------
"If you spend to much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. Make at least one definite
move daily toward your goal."
- Bruce Lee -
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-30-2015 at 09:48 PM

(Thought i had posted a reply a while back but it hasn't shown).... Thanks Richard for the info , that s very helpful!
Habir, I prefer the tension and feel of a floating bridge oud, so we designed this accordingly. Should be great!

Go To Top