Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NEW SHEHATA OUD!!!
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 09:41 AM
NEW SHEHATA OUD!!!

Hey All,

Finally, My shehata arrived. This oud is absolutely amazing. After playing on "starter" ouds for the past two years, playing a real quality musical instrument is truly a pleasure. The sound is incredible. I can't belive how loud this thing can get, on the upper and lower registers. The neck, last two staves and pegs are all ebony. The bowl is rosewood and the face is spruce. The design is very classic. The pickguard design is from an old nahat, the one that jameel remade. Anyone trying to defame this greate oud maker is out of his mind. This is a work of art and Maurice was great to deal with. He managed to make this instrument in only 3 weeks which is all the time I had. Advice for anyone looking to buy a shehata oud, don't hesitate. You will not regret your decision. Here are some pictures. There are more photos of Maurice and his shop at

http://www.piousity.net/adnan/

Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 11:07 AM

Very Nice revaldo;)

What is the rose made from? It looks too white to be wood. (may be just my monitor)

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 01:54 PM

dude i am so happy for you i know what u mean when u play on a starter oud and tehn get a pro one i did the same thing but yr 100 times beter then me i love yr oud
thx sammy
john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 02:20 PM

congratulations!!

I've had a maurice oud made of virtually the same woods and pretty much looks like yours... and I love it...

i know exactly what you mean... the move from starter ouds to a real oud is like the move from a neon to a german car... yay for you!
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 03:05 PM
Dimensions of your oud

Hi,

I also have one of Maurice's ouds - yes, it's a bit on the heavy side and not very loud but the tone is very well balanced and the neck and action are fantastic. Your oud seems to be exactly the same shape as mine but it looks a little smaller when held. What is the string length on your oud if you don't mind my asking?

Enjoy,
Freya
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-23-2005 at 05:21 PM

Hey all,

Jameel, the rose is made of wood but I think that it is unfinished. From looking at other people's shehata ouds, I always believed the rose to be completely white. I thought it was stained or something but I see now that it is wood. Maybe because the oud bowl and fingerboard are so dark, it gives that impression. But you are right, on screen, they look very white.

John, that is a great anology. My syrian oud was so hard to play because the action was way too high and the pegs were unmerciful. Now my ebony pegs move like butter. Also, because the action is so low, I am able to play much faster and move through the strings easily.

Freya, when I first saw the picture of maurice holding the oud, I thought that it was really small, but when I received it, it was no different than any other classical arabic oud. The strings length is 61cm. I think the bowl is a little shallower than other ouds though but I could be wrong.
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2005 at 06:32 PM

Beautiful instrument! Congratulations. I have just ordered my second oud from Maurice Shehata. My first one is a bit similar to yours, but this new one will be modelled after a Nahat oud. I'll post some pictures in a couple of months when it arrives.

Peace everyone,
Roy
aldokhi
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-25-2005 at 11:05 PM
Where can I buy Shehata ouds

how can I get hold of a shehata oud?
Monawar Al-Jabar
Oud Junkie

Mood: playing Oud

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 06:09 AM

Hi

If you want a Shehata oud you can log on to http://www.nileshop.net they are the best
:airguitar:
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 06:17 AM

Hey Aldokhi,

Al Aseel now have their own website and you can get directly in contact with them. Maurice's website is http://www.mauriceouds.com. Maurice was great to deal with and now you can deal directly with him.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 05:34 PM
shehata recording

Hey all,

I finally got around to making a recording of my new oud. Like I said, the sound is absolutely amazing. If you want to hear exactly how it sounds, listen to the abadi "espanyaa" taqassim that was posted a few days ago. It sounds exactly like that. Anyways, here is a recording I put together. This is just some taqassim I put together earlier today. Be aware that this recording is done with a computer mic so the oud sounds much much better in real life.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 08:25 PM

Just wondering what kind of strings your using?
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 08:53 PM

I'm using aquila strings.

Go To Top