Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Oud , Banjo Question
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 07:42 AM

Conversely, you can string a floating bridge C To C as well.Has anyone tried that?

Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by majnuunNavid  
Conversely, you can string a floating bridge C To C as well.Has anyone tried that?

Yep I string my Ghadban C-C, it sounds great.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 03:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by journeyman  
OK, I'll bite....I would enjoy listening to Munir Bashir more if he had played a standard Arabic oud. :)

I don't know if we can call it standard but here you go. Munir Bashir on a fix bridge oud.
Nice exemple to realize the importance of the right hand in the sound characteristic production :)

https://youtu.be/69hjuVv5dzs

Regards

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 08:10 AM

And what happens when Munir Bashir breaks his oud and take a said poor oud hanging on the studio wall ?
This:

https://youtu.be/Fqon4BB2qnI

phil
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Quote: Originally posted by majnuunNavid  
Can we get a tally of which well-known Oud teachers are teaching with the high ff string? I would really like to know which "schools of Oud" are teaching it. I am to believe that Naseer Shamma is spreading this all over Egypt right now correct? Said Chraibi and Charbel Rouhana use it. Who else?

Khalid Mohammed Ali plays a floating bridge oud.

Not all high strung ouds are floating bridge models.

Naseer Shamma is teaching oud in Cairo. People from outside of Egypt are coming there to learn so in that sense those of his students who play a floating bridge model and return home do spread it "all over" but it's hard for me to imagine any kind of oud being played all over Egypt. Few in the countryside could afford an oud, even if they wanted one. Where would one get strings in the interior?

My oud teacher Ghassan A uses both fixed and floating-bridge oud but both almost always tuned Ff. I have both type ouds but I love the sound of my Amro Mostafa floating-bridge high Ff and to my ears I prefer that over my glued bridge ouds.

Beit al oud Cairo has certainly added to the proliferation of bashir or floating bridge ouds in Ff but also in the gulf at beit al oud Dubai.
Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 03:25 AM

Apparently the original 'Bashir' floating bridge oud had a conventional flat sound board that was later modified (because of tuning stability problems?) to a bent configuration that provided additional downward force on the bridge as well as allowing use of higher string tensions. The inspiration for this modification seems to have come from the wire strung 19th C Neapolitan style mandolin that has a similar sound board configuration. The same arrangement was used in Southern Italy for the wire strung strummed guitar 'chitarra battente' - flat soundboard baroque guitars sometimes being modified (vandalised) for the purpose.
very interesting point Jdowning, I am not aware of any other Arab string instrument with the bending soundboard even the Nashat Kar does not have this feature ...I some how feel that the bashir style floating bridge instrument has been influenced by the Neapolitan mandolin...of course with influence of the traditional Arab Oud...I have no evidence of this....it will be interesting to see the barring system of this model...
what i saw in this thread is how much people are attached and Cherish their instruments .. the love for their instrument is evident ... I must say that I respect that very much ....

The Bashir style Oud: floating bridge, Sahib , Oud Iraqi and many other names given to this instrument is very confusing to me especially that we are producing this kind of instrument in other Arab countries apart from Iraq with different characteristic which is not the Bashir design, i.e Floating bridge instrument with Egyptian style ...which means using the same bracing system as used in the Traditional Egyptian Oud... what I don't understand is if the Egyptian player is searching and looking for the traditional sound why don't he/she go for the real Egyptian traditional Oud...this is the same in Lebanon, Syria and many other countries... so we ended up having many different floating bridge type instrument in different countries ...
I must agree with you Roy it's about the sound , the bashir style produces the twangynes sound, which I am not in love with but I know some players love this sound... we love what we love, and players who love this floating bridge instrument have all the right to love even though that I am not a great fan of this instrument...

People who talked about Anouar Brahem, I love Anouar as a close friend of mine and a great player, yes he plays traditional Oud and uses F string....however his playing is very elegant and beautiful, If you want to use the F string it's not a big deal , of course you can use it... however you must make the instrument sound like an oud , this example we have seen it with great players like Qasabji, Sunbaty and the great Lebanese master Farid Ghosn... farid Ghosn in my opinion has produced and managed to got out the best from the F string .... and he has opened up the instrument ... he did not use the F string as a short cut because he could not go up the fingerboard....
I prefer the C tuning as I consider the bass C is earth so you can fly but you must come back to Earth... I have used F string in the past but abandon the idea as I could not find a very well balanced instrument .. I must say that I was happy to give up the F string and keep the bass C string which I love

Ustas Khalid Mohammad Ali is my favorite Iraqi Oud player and composer, Ustaz Khalid has used different instruments including floating bridge, Turkish Oud, Iraqi traditional oud, He has also used both the F string on his oud, and the C string, in his last recordings which I love he used 5 string oud no F and no C only 5 strings ... I recommend it to people to listen to this master playing and hear the beautiful playing and what you can got out of a 5 string oud...

thank you very much for this rich discussion and I have learnt a lot from your participation ... I must go and Finnish my tour which I have started last week in Germany....
I leave you with the great Egyptian master Ustaz Riyad Al Sunbaty with the Oud of Usta Mohammad Fadl Awad..both lovely oud and great playing by the Master ..

http://youtu.be/expKbjHsff0

Best wishes;
Adel

http://www.adelsalameh.com/oudcamp.php

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 05:17 AM

Rich discussion indeed.
I will listen also to Farid Ghosn I know so few
best wishes Adel !

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 01:10 PM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Adel and everybody.

I agree with you Adel, I like the Bass C too. 5 course ouds/barbat G A D g c is the default pattern for Persian players. Though I don't think anyone can escape the gravity of the bass C string anymore.

This is possibly another topic, but I'm asking in relation to tonal colour that has been mentioned earlier, if I may... the modern Turkish tuning C#F#B E a d??

I tuned my fixed bridge Arabic Oud this way (in fourths equivalent) C#F#B E a d one step down = B E A D g c. Although this makes sense in some ways from a tuning perspective, in that it's easy to tune an instrument in fourths by ear. But the overtones were horrible for my Oud. Playing certain keys on the high C string just brought out some unwanted noise.

From my experience, G A D g c, D G A D g c, and C G A D g c is the most stable tuning for the open strings. It's the most pleasing, even though I prefer C F A D g c for ease of hitting F and F#.

Can anyone shed any light on this Turkish Tuning?

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-13-2015 at 01:29 PM

Hello
a Turkish tuning you will hear a lot is
d a e B F# B
this is the one you hear with those amazing deep playing in bass strings. Necati Celik use it a lot for exemple.
then many use also
d a e B A E
simply a one tone higher than the usual c g d A G D Arabic tuning.
As far as I know turkish players use both with some preference depending on their tonality. They transpose pieces oftenly and give name to the tune they choose. I don't master this at all, but they will name it as " bolahenk " or " mustahzen " tuning for exemple. Check the name of neys and their tune to get more precise informations about.
then how the oud would react is another matter, from one oud to another

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top