Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Persian music could be easier to learn than Arabic and Turkish music.
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 7-8-2015 at 08:35 PM
Persian music could be easier to learn than Arabic and Turkish music.

What do you guys think about the Radif in Persian music? I know there are some people in this forum that have studied it.

I think it makes Persian music easier to learn in the long run because it breaks down all the melodies, modulations, and nuances of the musical language and ingrains it in your head.

http://www.oudforguitarists.com/learnpersianmusic/

Here is a video about Persian music and the Radif, I play some excerpts of the Radif here as well. There is also a blooper at the end.

franck leriche
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 09:38 AM

I'm not sure it make it easier, for a "normal" person it take takes like 3 years to learn Mirza Abdollah's radif, and a few more to learn a vocal one or two, and a few more to learn another instrumental one.

It's a lot of time to learn it correctly, and it doesn't make any sense to read it...

And after such a long study, it doesn't lead to improvise...don't want to say anything bad on persian musicians, but very few can really improvise.

That was the feeling i had, and it was confirmed by Hossein Omoumi who is a very good improvisator.

The radif makes the teaching much more easier, even for a bad musician, for instance i find Borumand's version of the radif absolutely boring and anti musical...

When i was teaching a lot, i saw that the best musicians are those who listen to a lot of music and had a good culture. Most of the bad students didn't listen to any music at all or very little and sometimes they didn't listen the style they were studying.

I've been studying tar radif 25 years ago and i still find it boring.
On the other hand i like a lot the vocal radifs.

Some people said that one must play the radif without changing one note.
I think this attitude has nothing to do with the essence of middle eastern music, which is not made to be always the same.
A good musician is a story teller, and what's more boring than hearing the same story being said exactly the same over and over.

My opinion is that music should be the reflection of life, which might looks always the same but is always changing as we look closer.

Learning the radif might be useful to some people but they are many ways to learn the essence of makams.
I've heard some people playing the radif in a way that had very little to do with persian music, even if they were persian themselves.

I think the best way to learn to improvise is just to listen to someone who do it, and try to do the same.
But if you teach it as if it was a composition, the student will barely learn to improvise.
There is something to understand in the improvisation process.

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 01:54 PM

I totally join your opinion about the improvisation process Franck.
the better musicians I have met had a truely amazing culture. Actually once noticed we shouldn't be really surprised by that but it's a main fact.
and so more funny process that getting inside the radif. And believe me I really enjoy Persian music. But eating this without a teacher to help me to get sense to it didn't meant anything for me. Out of getting bored quickly !
Just an opinion though.
I mean keep on the good work i really enjoyed some of your publication, like the one on the Persian rhythms or your interpretation of a Alizadeh piece on the oud
regards

majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 07:18 PM

You are right on the mark Franck.

What you are saying is indeed the deeper truth.

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  

I mean keep on the good work i really enjoyed some of your publication, like the one on the Persian rhythms or your interpretation of a Alizadeh piece on the oud
regards

Thanks suz_i_dil.

Go To Top