Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: playing it other positions up the neck
keving
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 06:16 AM
playing it other positions up the neck

so, I play turkish style and recently been working with a kanun player who is studied in arabic maqam. We've been bumping up transposition challenges and I am wondering what other folks experiences here may be.

My oud is tuned (western concert pitch) E F# B E A D and some the makam we're working on, such as Kürdîli Hicazkâr, leave very little open strings for me to access to, challenging my intonation skills (which were weak to begin with..). In this instance, in this particular piece, for example, I find myself playing in what would be third position up the neck.

When I play that far up the neck, literally using no open strings, I find the sound to be much different, naturally. Since I haven't been properly trained by a traditional oud player, I am wondering if I am missing something. I have fat little fingers which give me a smudgy kind of intonation. Should my finger tips be perfectly perpendicular to the neck, perhaps?

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 07:04 AM

To what pitch is the kanun player tuned? If he/she is playing Kürdîli Hicazkâr from European C you might find it easier to tune your oud down one whole step. However if you have a look at Turkish oud players on youtube, you will see that so much of what they play is in closed positions even when open strings are an option. My final piece of advice is to play an octave or two octaves below what the kanun plays. That will keep much of what you play on the part of the fingerboard that overlies the neck.

By the way, one of the remarkable things about my Faruk Turunz Turkish oud is that even on the wound, thicker strings, the high positions on its extended fingerboard do *not* produce a different sound from the positions near the nut. It has a remarkably uniform voice.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-10-2015 at 07:28 AM

Also, it would be easier for the qanun to transpose than the oud . . .

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top